NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds like a joke. But my glove box won't stay closed because the crappy cheapo plastic latch is busticated. I tried velcro, but no luck because the sticky stuff doesn't stick good enough. Need some kind of fastener, I don't care about the lock!

Thanks for any suggestions, probably costs hundreds of buck$ to replace the whole thing.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem in my 1998. Can the glove compartment door be repaired properly by the average backyard mechanic? I don't see how the latch is removed.
Thanks! JJ

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Well, you will need a paper towel tube, a book of matches, a can of gasoline, and a blowtorch. If that doesn'twork, get some tweezers, a stick of gum, and a bottle rocket. Heal the world with duct tape.

But seriously, i'm sure the latch can be replaced. It doesn't sound too difficult. Someone here will know, if not, call a dealer to see if they carry the parts. Dashes don't seem to be too hard to work with. I've done it once or twice to play with stuff and i know nothing about car stuff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found it to be a pain in the butt.

I like my bug car, but I've found that compared to the Mazda Protege5 that I sold, this car has a lot of plastic crap that pretty easily falls apart.

The problem is that the latch became disassembled within the plastic door. It wasn't broken, the parts had just come loose, detached from one another: 2 springs, 2 plastic levers, one for each door "latch" of the glovebox.

I had to "split open" the seam that bound the door together. With these two pieces pried apart, I was able to piece things back together (the two plastic levers bound together with the two cheapo springs). Then after putting humpty dumpty back together I epoxy'd the door along the seams again and clamped for a few hours. That worked -- sort of, seems like one of the springs has come loose again, but since the other side still works the door remains functional.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts