NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to get straight to the point.
My wife's 2005 NBC Turbo with only about 50K miles.
Took it to stealership - I KNOW I KNOW, tell my wife- last fall for spitting sputtering issues.
They did bunches of stuff and recommended new MAF - $300.
I said enuf, ordered a generic on Ebay for about $30 and put it on.
CEL cleared and she ran a few months. Mostly 5 mile r/t to work.

Last week the ABS yellow triangle came on along w engine light.
More spitting/sputtering as well. After a backfire,Wife wanted to take it back to the dealership.
They found some vacuum leaks in the turbo, few other things.

Tech found a code for a bad MAF, also said it needs new plugs and injector cleaning. I'm calling bullsh*t.

Question for the experts:
1. Are generic MAF's really that bad?
If so, what about Bosch? Called a different dealership and asked what brand they sold, they said it didn't show a name.

2. Is it reasonable to assume that putting in a Bosch or different MAF and blowing it out a little would work as well as replacing plugs or cleaning the injectors?
If not, any suggestions other than the dealer's "special chemicals and procedure for cleaning the injectors"

In advance, thanks for your usual great help!

·
Registered
762 Posts
NEVER... and I mean NEVER use non OEM parts on your car.

If you use Chinese Replacement Auto Parts on your car, you are wasting money.

How old are the spark plugs... are they the CORRECT spark plugs. There are thousands of different type of spark plugs that will "fit" into your engine, but only 1 correct type of spark plug.

Injectors... eh, 80K or more and never been flushed/cleaned, yeah, I'd suggest it as well. Also, the brake fluid is to be flushed every 2 years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OEM MAF's

Thanks for the quick response.
You said there was only 1 spark plug, but you didn't enlighten me as to what that was. Other threads re plugs indicate a variety of opinions.
I don't know if they have been changed or not; not in the 2 year's (maybe 8k) I've owned the car.

Also, you mentioned the injectors should be cleaned at 80K.

As stated, I've only got a bit over 50K on the car.

So biggest question was, still is, with an OEM (Pierburg ?) or Bosch MAF, should I be able to drive some of the crud off the plugs/injectors?

·
Registered
762 Posts
The specific plugs and MAF will depend on the specific engine code. You might find the engine code on a sticker stuck to the timing belt cover. Or on the PR Sticker in the boot of the car next to the spare tyre.

Production Codes (PR-Codes) can be found on the Vehicle Data Label - Ross-Tech Wiki

That page shows an example of a PR sticker, but they can vary.

Opinions vary a lot on how often to do the fuel rail services. As best I know, VW doesn't say anything on it. I've heard people say every 20K it should be done but I wouldn't. Like I said, I tended to push for it at 80K of normal driving. But another factory is age.... if a car is over 5 years old, I'd suggest it as well. Heat soak is the main issue and there is no way to avoid it on indirect injection cars.

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Welcome!

Sorry to hear you've joined the club of professional tinkerers. Yes, I'm a slave to mine too. It's okay :: pats Boompa on the shoulder::: :eek:

So, now, about buying "good" parts from a source other than the stealer--I'd like to put my 2 cents in here.

I've purchased several replacement parts from OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning with excellent results. I called to verify with them as to where the parts I wanted to order were manufactured, so you could do the same. I purchased the delux timing belt/water pump service kit and the thermostat from them, all which are not made in China nor Uzbekistan or whatever, and everything's working great. I had that service done at 87k miles and I'm getting close to 100k, so I think the parts are sound! If I remember correctly, they were actually made in Germany. Anyhoo, call them and ask first where the particular parts are made that you're in need of. They're based out of Ohio I think.

As for the spark plugs you will want to use, find IndyTom on here--he told me but I've since forgotten. I've never changed my spark plugs.

Are you familiar with these bugs in that they need synthetic oil and premium fuel? They are rather high performance driving machines compared to the older models ;)

Cheers, and welcome again. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on MAF Sensors

Thanks for the feedback.
Just a followup.
Told the dealer I'd wait on spending the additional $600 for a MAF sensor, plugs and cleaning the injectors.

I investigated several companies online but wanted to be SURE I had the correct MAF sensor.

I checked a couple of sites that advertise here in the forum (no names). One of them gave me one part that he was SURE was Bosch direct replacement. I called back, got another rep, he gave me a different part #.

One of the biggest advertisers here and on the net in general told me even though I had the VIN, I had to contact a dealer and get my engine code.

Another told me he didn't know which warehouse the part would come out of (past experience) but it would be between 2-9 days.

I checked with www.germanautosupply.com and filled out email quote request. Within a few minutes, [email protected] had responded with correct part number and best price by far. Also when asked, he let me know the cutoff time for shipping out of their Charlotte NC warehouse.

After that, I found the old part and confirmed it was correct (Bosch not Piersburg).

One last thing. I ordered the part so I could get everything buttoned down. When I picked the car up, they had the old replaced parts in the floor.

In the middle of them,

my generic MAF sensor.

Whether by accident or just having pity, they replaced it and didn't charge.:D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Do not screw around with generic no name ebay MAF sensors. Even if they claim they are OE or Siemens/VDO/Bosch and on ebay for cheap, forget about them.

I deal a lot in the BMW community as well and there appears to be a bunch of even counterfeit MAF's with Siemens/VDO/Bosch stamped or cast into them.

If the MAF is too cheap, there is a reason. Steer clear.

If you still have your orignal MAF that came with the car, hang onto it. Many times they are replaced for all the wrong reasons and you can many times put it back on the car and it may run properly.

Warning to others, be careful on ultra cheap MAF's.

A good source with quick shipping and good pricing tends to be BMA Auto Parts | Bumper to Bumper since 1978 | Oem auto parts, vw parts, sachs boge, mercedes benz parts, honda auto parts, saab parts. Use SPECE30 for a 5% discount at check out. Many times parts will be on your doorstep the next day without expedited shipping.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,122 Posts
GermanAutoParts.com is another really great site for parts. Lots of OEM stuff and great shipping and customer service. I check them first for pretty much any part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts