NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased an 05 Turbo Diesel 3 weeks ago. Immediately I noticed it had a Kenwood radio head installed and the front right dash speaker was buzzing. After further research, we discovered all speakers (dash, doors, and back) were blown. Only front left dash was working.

Hubby installed Alpine tweeters into the dash with Kicker 3 inch speakers, and 6.5 Alpine's into doors. Once those were installed, the back speakers (previously there) began working? So we took back the unneeded back 2 Alpine's.

That was yesterday. Today, brand new front right dash speaker is buzzing again. We called the audio place to inquire and they said it sounded like a Monsoon Amp issue- that its going out. He also says its probably easiest to purchase a replacement Monsoon amp. Is that because its a lot less re-wiring?.

At this point I'm puzzled as to what we need to do. I'm tempted to purchase another Monsoon radio head as well (I like the look of factory verses this Kenwood) but radio guy insists that the Kenwood radio head is better than a Monsoon radio head. I need some serious suggestions. Wouldn't you want your radio head to match your amp? I want a good, clear sound but most importantly, a working stereo in there! I've learned more about speakers, radios, and amps this week than I care to ever know. Help!

04 XM Music Edition Blue Beetle (miss her!)
05 Turbo Diesel Red Beetle (current)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Personally I prefer the OEM head for these cars.

You need to determine if your car has a Monsoon Amp or not.

I recently picked up a really nice newer model reworked Monsoon head unit that has a CD player that also plays MP3 CD's, has the ability to support OEM Sat and supports Aux input.

I recently purchases an Aux input cable on ebay that had the wrong connector, removed the terminals and plugged them into my unit. Grand total under $8 for my Aux input.

In process of retrofitting OEM Sirius, expect this to be under $125 when I am finished.

You can use head units up until 2010 in the NB from my understanding.

The think you need to figure out is if someone butchered your OEM wiring connectors or used adapters.

Hopefully you do not have this mess - http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/58571-oh-boy-wiring-nightmare.html

Also Monsoon amps are pretty reasonable on ebay as well. Usually less than $100.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jfoj for that info! EXTREMELY helpful. I, too, like the OEM head much more than any high dollar after market. I love all aspects of the rounded beetle- including the dash and radio. But audio guy laughed at me for my "cosmetic" reasoning for wanting the OEM back. Oh well....

Hubby pulled out Kenwood head and saw a wad of taped up wires....we suspect we'll fall into that category of wiring nightmare.

Glad to hear you prefer OEM radio head too. Confirms to me that maybe I need to make it official and get my Ruby back to her original set.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts