NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a slow leak on the after-run pump to turbo hose/line on Monday... red crusted coolant at all of the rubber to metal connections and a corroded section of the metal line where the leak was occurring. I figured it would get by til Thursday when I could get a break to fix it. Nope, of course not, and I ended up having to leave work early today to save my wife. I was able to cobble it back together with a couple sections of hose and a deep well 10mm socket as a coupler and get it home, but I feel like there's a better way than stock to permanently fix this...

1. Why did they make the hose go from 5/8" rubber at the pump, to a metal line along the frame rail, to a 1/2" rubber hose to the metal connector at the rear of the engine? My best guess is that since there's not much room along the frame rail, the metal line is a smaller diameter than a comparable size rubber hose, so it was a space-saving technique. Thoughts? I've seen other 1.8T models that are all metal and some that are all rubber... any reason I can't go with all rubber on this hose? I did to get it home, and it just makes sense to me to eliminate unnecessary connections where it could leak again.

2. The hose is routed very low and close to the belt and pulleys. I don't like this routing for obvious reasons when using a larger diameter hose. If I must go with a metal line, I suppose it's no big deal to put it back in the clips and call it a day. For a full rubber hose though, I would rather run it higher up, over the motor mount with the other hoses. Would there be any potential flow problems or other concerns with this configuration? It seemed to be circulating just fine on my quick fix this way. I would definitely wrap the hose in heat tape as a precaution.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Surprise! The pump actually takes a 3/4" hose, not 5/8". I couldn't find a 3/4 to 1/2 step fitting anywhere. I did find a molded hose that went from 3/4 to 5/8 though, so I used that along with a 5/8 to 1/2 step fitting to get down to the right size.

I routed it over the motor mount, and everything seems to be doing just fine. Circulation feels strong when I hold the hose. A half hour test drive later, and I'm confident in the fix. I think it's going to be more reliable than the stock configuration.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Good work and thanks for sharing. Did you take photos for a how to for the rest of us?

02SilverSport?Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

1 - 4 of 4 Posts