NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Block
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have to say that my luck with my baby is not being very good lately. Tonight my wife was driving her back from Madison, a good hour trip, when the car started to sputter and lose power before shutting off completely. The car then would not re-start for a few minutes, started back up and then after driving for a few miles the car shut down again and the CEL came on.

After the wife got home, a friend and I went out with a few gallons of #1 Diesel and a bottle of Diesel 911 to dry up any water in the tank and clear up any gelling. We let it sit for a bit, started her up and thought things were going to be ok. Alas, this was not to be. The CEL stayed on and we were only able to limp it a few miles closer to Sioux Falls and to a place to park where she will not get hit or towed.

My question for you all is: have any of you experienced this before? Any ideas on where to start in the process of fixing the problem? I want to have some ideas before I call the stealership to find out their suggestions.

Thanks a million, you guys ROCK!

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Hmmm...I'm stumped here, but I will say that the car is drivable which means the fault could lie in your MAF. Unplug it and see what happens.

Also, get that code read if you have a warranty or know someone with a VAG-COM. Could be the answer to all the problems right there.

-I edited the thread title...no big, right?

·
Block
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I went and got my car from the side of the road today and she started up and ran just fine. All I can figure is that the fuel was gelled and with how cold it was last evening the anti-gell I put in was not able to break up all the wax in the fuel lines. Today it is warmer than last evening (-10 with -35 wind chills) so I am thinking that helped.

I got my baby back!:)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Sure sounds like the fuel gelled. You might try running an Attic strength anti-gel additive. Power Service, Red Line, and others make additives for the extreme cold.
Be sure both the upper and lower engine covers are in place to keep as much heat inside as possible. Also blocking off the front of the grill will keep the cold air flow out of the engine bay (just don't forget to remove when it's warm).

·
Registered
140 Posts
blockphi said:
Well, I went and got my car from the side of the road today and she started up and ran just fine. All I can figure is that the fuel was gelled and with how cold it was last evening the anti-gell I put in was not able to break up all the wax in the fuel lines. Today it is warmer than last evening (-10 with -35 wind chills) so I am thinking that helped.

I got my baby back!:)

I know you probably know this but I am posting this for others that may not know. Wind chill has no effect on non-living things. Temperature is the only thing that affects mechanical things. So don't be worried about the wind chill's effect on a car. Yes air flow helps to cool down a radiator but the "wind chill" has nothing to do with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts