NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really hoping someone can help me out. My airbag light has been on for some time now....the vw dealership told me the scanned it (but didn't tell me the code it came back with) and there was something screwy in the instrument cluster. They told me $500 for the goofy thing! So I'm still looking at the light...My hubby had bought a 03 cluster off of ebay for much less, plugged it in, and, of course, the immobilizer kicked in. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make that silly light go off, or if I can make the 03 cluster work in mine. The dealership said they may or may not be able to reprogram it! A lot of help, huh? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Kristen

P.S. I love you guys! Y'all have already answered a ton of my questions in your posts!:p

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
First Id check with VAG com what triggered the Airbag Light, the Stealership has TO TELL YOU the number code if they scanned the car. It gets me on my nerves when they say the car has problems but they do not want to give you the code number or the description of the code.

The Airbag light can be on because:

Ther eis a problem with the control module of the airbags
The control module is bad or doesnt respond.
One of the cables below the seat os loose so the lateral airbag cannot be found---> hence the light is on. (this is a very likely problem a bad conection, severed cable or loose cable)

Check th ecar with the dealer and see what code it gives, surely its nothing real bad, AND ALSO the service guy can reset the airbag light, and if it comes again ASAP the number code must be displayed.

hope this info helps you

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Duck said:
I'm really hoping someone can help me out. My airbag light has been on for some time now....the vw dealership told me the scanned it (but didn't tell me the code it came back with) and there was something screwy in the instrument cluster. They told me $500 for the goofy thing! So I'm still looking at the light...
When my airbag light came on, the code was something about intermittant instrument cluster error. I erased the code and its never come on since.

Did they erase the code for you or just leave the light on?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
My airbag light came on earlier this year. The dealer found a problem with the driver's side seat belt latch/connector. They replaced it and everything has been fine since.

Hope this helps.

Arne

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check with the dealerhip and demand the codes. I honestly don't think they did erase the code, they just expected me to hand them $500 for the instrument cluster!:spit: Thank y'all a ton. Now I have options to explore to get rid of that light. The org rocks!:fro:

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Duck said:
I'll have to check with the dealerhip and demand the codes. I honestly don't think they did erase the code, they just expected me to hand them $500 for the instrument cluster!:spit: Thank y'all a ton. Now I have options to explore to get rid of that light. The org rocks!:fro:
My point was they probably got the same instrument cluster code as I did and it may just be a widely intermittant problem or a one time kind of thing. But their job is to read the code and replace whatever part it lists in the code.

which brings me to a wonderful dealership story I will now share: My dad's 1996 minivan had a broken seat. The seat back just flopped back one day. He took it to the Dodge dealership last week and AFTER INSPECTING IT they offered to replace the seat for $600 (its leather). I took a look under there.. a nut had fallen off. Found a nut that fit in the junk drawer, replaced it, good as new. So there is just further proof to do your own repairs. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my airbag light come on in my 2001 NB at 70k and I it was a malfunctioning seat belt latch. Cost about $120 with parts & labor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts