NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

My daughters car has been sitting for a couple of months and today when I started the car, I noticed that the airbag light stays on. This has never been an issue before and I am suspecting that as there was a little water in the carpet as it has been sitting and we know how prone to leaks Vw are, it may have caused a bad connection somewhere?

So far I have removed both seats and checked the yellow wiring plug underneath both looked clean and dry with no signs of corrosion. I did a continuity check from one side of the plug to the other with a multi-meter and it was okay.

The code I get is 00003 - Controller Unit, I believe that the unit is in the centre of the bottom of the dash in front of the gear lever? P.S is there a trick to remove the plastic cover to see or do I have to remove the central panel where the handbrake is?

Many thanks
Alex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Latest update today was that I hadn't seen there was a second code, which may be why the first code is showing too. The second is airbag code 01217. Any ideas? I've read people talking about the yellow plug underneath the seat, although mine looks nice and dry and clean contacts inside.

of the three wires I get 0.5 ohms on two of the wires and 0.6hms on the other

·
Registered
12,339 Posts

Seems to be a relatively common issue; some say, harness damage, then plug damage, dirty connections (clean with contact cleaner like QD CRC #5103) and others, seem to note, that VW techs have bypassed the connector at the airbag unit, hardwired it together.

You might look at some of the youtube video and threads; discussing common faults and fixes, for this trouble code.

Let us know, the results of your visual inspections, troubleshooting and the repair. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks thejarhead.

Yes I have checked both yellow plugs under both seats and they are clean dry and look fine.
i've checked continuity through and get 0.5ohms on two wires with 0.6ohms on the other.
I've tried to reset the code but light comes straight back on.

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
One, of the youtube videos; shows a situation, where the terminal ends had corrosion in them; causing a bad connection another thing to check. One of many possible issues; that can cause a connectivity problem, hard fault.

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
While, i cannot see obvious damage to the terminals; one should be aware if any that look damaged, corroded or have too large of spacing that might pose a connection issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, seen all those video, they are okay pretty basic though and nothing I haven't thought of or tried.
What I noticed is that the yellow plug has a resistance plate inside which give's an impedance reading of 0.3ohms between the blue and black wire, the other wire is completely independent with no cross continuity. Now that the plug has been cut and I have hard wired, the fault for the side airbag I can clear (01217 N199) drivers side. In fact if I pull the passenger plug I got the same side air bag fault, so confident that this is now resolved.

Running further tests there are not seat belt sensors or rear air bags installed and so for now the car reports all healthy airbags as they are just in the front. The remaining fault I have is still the 00003 (control module fault, 014 - defective)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts