VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My airbag light is on and I have been told it needs a new airbag module. Does 3 hours seem correct for it to be installed and programmed?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
3.0 hours for labor; is around the time that is most likely allotted in the flat rate labor book, maybe a tech on here can confirm that (can be found on programs; like alldata/mitchell1). Considering; how much the airbags/parts are, I would want to try to diagnose the problem more thoroughly, to see if that really is the issue. Many "mechanics"; tend to throw parts at a problem and not diagnose/troubleshoot things as they should. Do you have a vw type scanner? If you do; please post any and all codes you are getting. Many times; the airbag light comes on; for electrical problems that are easy to fix; wiring to the belt buckles under the seat are a common issue and sometimes the "clock spring" inside the steering wheel will fail (any little thing in the restraint/airbag system that fails; will turn the airbag light on and throw a trouble code, which can help in diagnosing the problem). It would be worth it to try to do some diagnostics and fix it yourself, if you are willing to spend some time and possibly buy a simple vw type scanner, if you don't have one already. You can get one; for less then $50 off of amazon.com; look for a vag405 or the latest version; called a vs450. The high end scanner; is called ross tech vcds; it is in the $250 to $350 range, great for in depth testing and repairs. The key right now; is to get the specific trouble codes that are VW specific and these are pretty incredible in pointing you in the direction of where the fault is, I have had some codes be so specific as to what the problem was, it was just as simple as replacing that part and clearing the codes, the repair was complete (in my case; when the airbag light came on the scan tool, told me the drivers side belt buckle was bad!). I cannot say; that would be the case for you but with the small price, that a basic vw type scanner is, it is worth a try and you should have one, even if you don't attempt to repair it yourself or have any mechanical ability or desire to fix things. Knowledge is power and for less then $50 you can save yourself hundreds; if not thousands of dollars, on repair bills! This is especially the case, if you are willing to do the work yourself (we can help you along; to possibly figure out what the problem is and YOU may even able to complete, the repairs yourself!). Cars are really expensive to repair these days and we all can save some money; by doing things ourselves and not be reliant on the VW dealerships. :) Get a inexpensive VW scan tool off of amazon.com and lets get this thing fixed! :D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Listen to Billy. That is sound advice. My 2000 had an airbag light. It ended up being the connector under the seat for the seatbelt. It also had an ABS light, which was a missing fuse in the battery fuse box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Billy!

Thanks for the extensive reply. I have had 2 people look at the car and they both said the airbag module was the issue. I found one on eBay for $70. The question is whether 3 hours of labor (at $105/hr) sounds correct.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Its probably in the right range; what trouble codes did they say, were read from the car? What specifically; did they say was wrong with the car or part of the airbag/supplemental restraint system was defective/bad, causing the problem/trouble code? Which airbag; is bad (steering wheel, side, pass side etc.). Some airbags; may take more labor time to replace, then others; I don't think it would be that hard to do but you would need a scanner to read and erase the codes. $105 an hour; sounds on the high end side of labor; are these a vw dealership or independent vw/european car shop? Of course; you never know about the quality of a shop; until they fix the problem and you pay the bill (whether their diagnosis is correct; you never know, until they "fix" the problem).

·
Registered
152 Posts
What year is your car? My wife's '03 vert had an airbag light on even after resetting it several times. I went to the dealership to buy the part and the parts dept. sent me to a service writer who looked up the VIN and told me that there was a recall for the front crash sensors. They replaced them and reprogramed it free of charge. It is worth the check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts