NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally able to get some work done on our bug. She's getting new snows this Saturday. Next week she goes to the dealer to diagnose the air bag warning light. Can anyone give me any advice about this issue, i'm nervous that it's going to cost a fortune. I did tell them, that for now, just diagnose it don't repair it. If they can tell me what it is maybe I can fix it. Their price was $89.00 for the scan, but they said it could need further diagnosing.
Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
We can give you suggestions on the problem, but until you have the codes, we can't really say for sure. Could be unhooked wires under a seat, a bad seatbelt buckle...any number of things really.

If you can find someone local with VAG-COM, they can scan the car and tell you the codes. And I'm sure it will be cheaper than the dealer :p

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Save yourself a lot of cash, dealer will kill your wallet, even if it is the seat belt bucket, likely the issue, you are looking at $300.

Buy this - Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

You can read and clear airbag codes.

If you need a seat belt buckle, they are about $70 on ebay.

You could still pay someone to do the job and come out cheaper than the dealer and have a decent tool to keep in the trunk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I ran the scan on the 2000bug. a few things going on. Engine scan says I got a short to ground with my coolant temp sensor code # 17663. Then my airbag, which was my original complaint. It said side airbag igniter passenger side/sporadic value of. code # was 01218
then code #01217 side airbag igniter drivers side sporadic value of resistance too great.
then code #00532 supply voltage B+, sporadic signal too low

In a different section I got a couple other codes.
first code # is 01334 door control module rear right J398 static no communication
then code #01333 door control module rear left J388 static no communication.

any translators out there?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks red99. looks like I will also need to dig into my shop manual too. What and where is the left rear, and right rear door control module, anyone know.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
thanks red99. looks like I will also need to dig into my shop manual too. What and where is the left rear, and right rear door control module, anyone know.
It sounds like it thinks there should be rear doors. Maybe the coding on the car is wrong somehow. I think with the VCDS you have to tell the software what kind of car to expect so it knows what modules should be there. You may have something similar.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Engine scan says I got a short to ground with my coolant temp sensor code # 17663.
The temp sensors are known to be high failure items on the early 2.0's. It is located in the coolant flange where the upper radiator hose attaches to the cylinder head. The original ones have a black plastic housing. The redesigned ones are green.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again red99. I will look into the coolant sensor tomorrow. Not sure about that door module thing, think I will ignore that for now. what do you know about the airbag igniters? Bye the way i'm only about 1.5 hrs. south of you.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Thanks again red99. I will look into the coolant sensor tomorrow. Not sure about that door module thing, think I will ignore that for now. what do you know about the airbag igniters? Bye the way i'm only about 1.5 hrs. south of you.
On the airbags, I would say that the three codes are probably all related. For some reason the supply voltage has gone below safe limits at some point. Have you had problems with your battery dying recently? It could be a wiring problem as well, maybe a loose connector or chafing wires.

I thought Trumansburg looks familiar. I grew up in Wellsville.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did have a parasitic battery drain, I thought. I replaced the battery and all seems good now. With multimeter there does not seem to be any voltage drop at the battery. Do you know where these side airbags are located? My shop manual is out in the garage, so i'll have to check that tomorrow. Don't know if there is an electrical connector I can check at those side airbags. Make me a bit nervous thinking about tinkering around those airbags.
Wellsville, I have heard of it but never been there. probably bigger than Trumansburg though...lol!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I just looked at the Bentley's. The side airbags are in the seat backs near the doors. The side impact sensors are under the seats. There is a single controller module for all 4 airbags beside the driver's footwell.

Did the light come on when you had the battery problems, or after?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that light has been on since I bought the car. Thanks for looking that up. I did find a broken wire under the drivers seat about a year ago. I hooked it back up, but it didn't seem to affect anything. Tomorrow I will double check all those connections under the seat. That controller by the drivers footwell sounds like it needs to be checked out. I forgot to mention that I really appreciate your help.
ps. wife and daughter will be up your way this Fri. Daughter has an audition at Nazareth music school.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable before working around wires you think may be associated with the airbag. Under the seats seems like a place where wires are vulnerable to damage so that's a good place to look. Funny thing is that it is the same error on both sides.

If the light has been on since you had the car then maybe there was a temporary situation that the previous owner had that set the error codes. You could try resetting the light and seeing if it comes back. The main airbags aren't affected.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
air bag light

that light has been on since I bought the car. Thanks for looking that up. I did find a broken wire under the drivers seat about a year ago. I hooked it back up, but it didn't seem to affect anything. Tomorrow I will double check all those connections under the seat. That controller by the drivers footwell sounds like it needs to be checked out. I forgot to mention that I really appreciate your help.
ps. wife and daughter will be up your way this Fri. Daughter has an audition at Nazareth music school.
even after you fix the airbag problem you cannot reset the light untill you use a VAGCOM computer system or the likes. good luck man. Or you can just put a piece of black tape over the light, there-problem solved. LOL :D jk good luck man

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i probably won't have time to look at it till this weekend. I doubt I'll get so lucky as to have it be a connection.
Does anyone know of anyone who unintentionally set off an airbag? I'm just curious.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts