NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to change air filter and cabin filter recently. I've read through HOW-TOs [carbin] [air] on the ORG and they are very instructive!

My question is the choice of stocks... Do you guys think I should get genuine VW parts, or just get some from Blaupart?

I've looked into Bosch for cabin filter and surprising saw bad comments on Amazon. (I suppose they are quality supplier but it seems that they outsourced those simple air filter to other companies...)

Is either or both parts crucial to the car that I really need to get genuine VW parts? Thanks for your advices.

--------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, today I've got time to take photos for some recent replaced parts.

1. My old water pump is badly broken, I guess. Before changing it, each time I start the car, there was always a clicking sound last for about 10 mins, and it became normal. Now everything's fine.

2. And a comparison between a new and the old O2 sensors.

Thanks for helping me out, especially jfoj and tom.

And I recently got a Bentley manual, and realized that actually most of jobs are wellllll guided by the manual :D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
filter

IMHO I don't think stock or oem filters will matter here but I would recommand u get the Charcoal cabin filter it seems to help with oder and musty smell.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
All the filters I used were Mann. That is both for air and oil.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm definitely looking for charcoal cabin filter.

For Mann, it apparently they don't have a suitable one for 2.0L Gas 2001.

BTW, which do you think is better for filter, Mann or Bosch?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
There are definitely Mann filters for your car. I put them in my '99 and the filter should be the same through the years.

GermanAutoParts.com : Volkswagen New Beetle Climate

I've had good luck with Mann filters. I've used Bosch oil filters with no issue, but never air filters.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
The top filter there gives a list of possible brands you could get.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
You might be able to call them and request it. GAP has pretty good customer service.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Do not think the filter brand all that critical for the cabin filter. I buy a lot of these on Amazon, good price, quick delivery.

Suggest you also pull the drives side half of the dash out when you change your filter. You will also need to remove the same access cover on the drivers side as you do to access the filter on the passenger side. This allows access to clean out any debris in this area. Since you have half the dash apart for the cabin filter, it is only a few more minutes to clean out the driver side while you are at it.

You may also need to pull the wiper arms and pull the plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield to perform a full cleaning. Be careful of the plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield in the colder weather as it can crack easily.

The cowl at the bottom of the windshield may have some adhesive sealing tape and has a rib that locks into a groove the entire width of the windshield.

Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just out of curiosity I opened the dash yesterday and vacuumed tons of dried leaves... so next time when I change the cabin filter I'll open the other half, too.

I had difficulty in removing the wiper since I don't have a puller. I've ordered that from Autozone and should be able to get it by this weekend. Then I can start a full cleaning. Thanks for suggestions, jfoj!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yea, I had issues getting my wiper arms off as well. I had to get a puller.

A suggestion is to use tape to mark the parked wiper location on the windshield so it makes re-indexing the wipers easier.

Also be careful not to mix the wiper arms up!

One helpful thing is you may be able to pull the 2" square rubber filler block on the passenger side from under the hood to get better access to cowl area as well? It is right where the wiring harness passed through the cowl area.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I had issues getting my wiper arms off as well. I had to get a puller.

A suggestion is to use tape to mark the parked wiper location on the windshield so it makes re-indexing the wipers easier.

Also be careful not to mix the wiper arms up!

One helpful thing is you may be able to pull the 2" square rubber filler block on the passenger side from under the hood to get better access to cowl area as well? It is right where the wiring harness passed through the cowl area.
Cleaned tons of leaves, and mud!!! :mad:

Question: how long does it take for yours to get filled up :confused:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Did you also pull the top dash apart and clean out below each access panel? There are 2 access panels, one for the cabin filter and a duplicate on the drivers side where there is no filter but a lot of debris that can get caught in there.

Suggest if you want a problem free cowl and no water leaks to check and clean the area every 2-3 years.

Cabin filter should be changed at least every 2 years, although I know MANY cars at close to 10 years old may have the original cabin filters still in them!!!

Who would have thought you would have to take the dash apart to replace a cabin filter??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you also pull the top dash apart and clean out below each access panel? There are 2 access panels, one for the cabin filter and a duplicate on the drivers side where there is no filter but a lot of debris that can get caught in there.

Suggest if you want a problem free cowl and no water leaks to check and clean the area every 2-3 years.
I tried to pull the driver side top dash apart the other day, but I turned out that the steering wheel kind of limited my access to screws near me and I hadn't got enough time to do that. I'll do this next time I have plenty of time. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Steering wheel??????

All you need to do is remove 2 other screws to remove the very front dash cover, same as what is needed to access the cabin filter, then there are about 6? more screws for the lower access panel under the upper dash.

Basically a mirror of replacing the cabin filter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steering wheel??????

All you need to do is remove 2 other screws to remove the very front dash cover, same as what is needed to access the cabin filter, then there are about 6? more screws for the lower access panel under the upper dash.

It took sometime for me to take off the 4 (of out 6) screws that are near me...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steering wheel??????

As the semester ended, I'm now more actively working on my car :eek:

I cleared the space below the left dash. I found there's pretty much space there... seems weird since I feel VW tends to use up every single piece of space...

I found this space is connected to the bottom of the plastic cover. If a large amount of water runs through the small hold of the plastic cover, the water is likely to go into the space under the dash, too...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts