NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy, I have a 1999 beetle (2.0L) and the entire car is stock with the exception of the deck (I don't listen to cassettes). I want to throw in a cone style airfilter but I'm on a tight budget. I was wondering if you guys can suggest a way for me to fabricate my own by removing the connection to the stock airbox. I know I need to rip out the airbox and remove the connection to it to attach the new filter but I have not been able to remove the airbox yet and would like to know if anyone has done this before / what are your performance and fuel efficency gains. And does anyone know the size of the filter I would need to get? The K&N kit is 210 canadian and the filter itself is 40$. Cheaper to fabricate my own mount but I have no idea on the diameter of the filter. Anyone can help?:)

·
Y2K Speedle
1,089 Posts
Hi there. I did conversation and it's a great upgrade to start with. Gains on 2.0 are not as you would get with turbo engine but they are noticeable. Engine will get some more air and your gas millage will slightly drop. Throttle response is better and engine would not choke when you step on the gas pedal. You will get some more noise from the filter but it's a nice deep sound WOT :) I have modified air intake box and removed snorkel. Inside factory air box I fitted K&N cone filter. I added a flex tube taken off some old ford and connected it instead of old snorkel. The other end of the tube goes all the way to the front grille and cold air is pushed in. Few days ago I went to Barrie which is 100 kliks north and when I got home and opened the hood, air box was cold but to my big surprise, intake manifold was cold as well. And when I said cold, I mean darn cold.
Not sure what size the filter is but if you go to K&N web site and search for vw NB 2.0 filter it will show you specs and then you can order it somewhere else :) I got the whole kit and it came with brackets and short hose.
Check out my profile for more info.
Cheers

·
Y2K Speedle
1,089 Posts
Another thing ...... I have mounting bracket extra since I fitted the filter in the air box and you can have it if you are willing to drive to Toronto.
To remove factory air box you need to take out 2 bolts on the upper side of the air box, and one on the lower side ( where the battery is ). Disconnect MAF and remove the clip that's holding plastic tube to the throttle body. It will take you 20 minutes to do it.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts