NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'69 Bug, '79 Van, '05 Bug
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I give up. HOw do I remove the plastic housing so I can replace the air filter? I removed the phillips screws at the back edge, and the front edge seems to have tabs into slots, but I cannot get the top of the housing off! There is a tube-like device, which I also removed the phillips screw holding it, but the top still will not budge. There is a large tube to the left (facing the air cleaner housing) held in place by a large spring clamp which I have no idea how to remove, but removal seems essential. Compression of the clamp does nothing to assist me in removing the clamp or looosening the large tube.

I just had my 10,000 serice thinking the dealer would replace the filter, but alas that is not recommended nor was it done.

Suggestions or advice appreciated. ;)

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use vise grips on the spring clamp to the MAF. That way the clamp is held open.. wiggle it back about 1/4" and you should be able to pull the big plastic hose off of the air filter housing.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
Also don't forget to unplug the MAF (the electrical component near the "big clamp") and the little hose at the bottom left of the airbox lid.

·
'69 Bug, '79 Van, '05 Bug
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Danke

Thank you all. I'll put my vise grips on it and see if I can wiggle it off.

In all my many cars I have never had such a problem with getting to an air filter! :(

Thanks again :)

Doc

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
docdixon said:
Thank you all. I'll put my vise grips on it and see if I can wiggle it off.

In all my many cars I have never had such a problem with getting to an air filter! :(

Thanks again :)

Doc
The problem is that all this stuff was designed for a Jetta/Golf engine bay... the Beetle's curves make things like this a PITA. :)

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts