NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Unlimited Reality Designs
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want to get an intake. i saw some newspeed p-flows around for about 140. and alot of ppl have then but i also read you get 5-7 hp gain from it. thats not alot. and i havent seen any cai. does our cars have them? and the are the intakes on ebay any good? i dont wanna spend alot of money for a min gain of hp. but i want a nice loud sound. any suggestions.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
to tell u the truth their is really no point... air will get reheated bye the turbo... jsut gut your air box and run a ram air tube

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a 2.0 auto non turbo. so is it worth getting the neuspeed intake or trying to find a cai or getting one of the ebay ones

·
502 Posts
oOo sorry lol... ehh id still just gut your air box... and run a k&n

·
:D
30 Posts
If you want to improve performance(you wont notice it since its such a small increase) remove your snow box. Im runing an intake similar to the Neuspeed, and trust me it doesnt do much. Keep your stock air box.. it blocks out engine heat very well. In fact, when I supercharge my car Im actually re-installing the stock airbox. Our cars get really hot under the hood.

If you do get an intake, get a cheaper one. They are all virtually the same, so go with price. You will notice your car is louder.. from the hood end.

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
juston said:
If you want to improve performance(you wont notice it since its such a small increase) remove your snow box. Im runing an intake similar to the Neuspeed, and trust me it doesnt do much. Keep your stock air box.. it blocks out engine heat very well. In fact, when I supercharge my car Im actually re-installing the stock airbox. Our cars get really hot under the hood.

If you do get an intake, get a cheaper one. They are all virtually the same, so go with price. You will notice your car is louder.. from the hood end.

ok what is the snowbox? so it sounds like i should stick with the k&n and remove the snow box. and if i get an intake go with a cheap ebay one and get a good filter like k&n and it will be louder that way. am i correct about this?

·
30 Posts
angelusnhc said:
ok what is the snowbox? so it sounds like i should stick with the k&n and remove the snow box. and if i get an intake go with a cheap ebay one and get a good filter like k&n and it will be louder that way. am i correct about this?
Yeah. Click the link to the old forums and type 'snow box' where you search threads. Its very easy and takes maybe 10 minutes to do.

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
juston said:
Yeah. Click the link to the old forums and type 'snow box' where you search threads. Its very easy and takes maybe 10 minutes to do.

one last question. will removing the snowbox and adding a k&n in prove performance any.

·
30 Posts
Here is what I did last year.

stock airbox

supplies

stock airbox again

new intake/filter.

I ran the dryer ducting down the wheel well (where the stock was)when i had everything apart in case i wanted to install a Cold Air Intake. Here is where the vent scoops the cold air from.

Just to the right and under the fog light.

What Im going to do is install the factory airbox to replace the open element filter, and attach it to the ducting i have running to the intake. That seems like it would be more efficiant. Basically what I have is Identical to the P-Flow from Neuspeed, and after running I can touch the filter and its super hot, so I know its just sucking in hot air.

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i searched for snow box removal and couldnt find any how to's. all i found was info on if its good or bad.. from what i heard it prob does nothing at all. but im going to try it. can you or any fellow org members give me a link to a nice how to bc i know nothing about cars at all.. i think ill get a k&n and remove the snowbox the later upgrade to the neuspeed intake

·
502 Posts
basickly waht u do is take the box out... and u see this tube and u take that tubr out.. aka the snorkel and u cuz a hole in the air box so u can cram more air in their

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
v-dubed said:
basickly waht u do is take the box out... and u see this tube and u take that tubr out.. aka the snorkel and u cuz a hole in the air box so u can cram more air in their
thanks for the info. but how do you get the box out. hahaha. i know nothing at all about cars.

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
I used to have a stock airbox CAI that used a length of 3" hose that went down to the foglight area. I retained my stock filter. It worked fine and it a great DIY option that is easy , affordable, and stealth.

I decided to fab up my own custom CAI with a piece of stainless pipe, more 3" hose and a K&N filter.

I did that for sound and as an excuse to do more things on my car ;)

On your 2.0, I'd go with either a modded airbox w. the filter of your choice or, if you felt brave, a CAI like mine. A N/A engine does not want hot air, so an open-element intake would possibly rob your car of power.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I have a P-Flo and am very happy with it. I have also removed the rubber engine seal that runs across the back of the engine compartment. This allows a huge amount of cooling air into the engine bay.

When I first installed my P-Flo I too noticed that it would get extermly hot to the touch but now it remains cool all the time... except in severe stop and go traffic (which I almost never encounter).

I like that it only needs a light cleaning every 50,000 miles, I like the intake roar, I like hearing my DV make the Pssssshhh sound, I like the extra hp and I like how it looks. For me it's well worth the money.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts