NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im new to these forums so thanks in advance for any help i may receive in the future. im really fed up with this car to be honest, ive had nothing but repair after repair from the start. most recently, i had a diagnostic check done and looked up the code that pertained to my CEL and it said the only problem was the mass air flow sensor. i go to replace it, only to see that the mass air meter hose has a giant hole in it. i buy that part, and i just replaced both of them today. i try starting the car, and it feels like its about to die, but luckily the check engine light is off. but, just in time, the CEL pops back on when i rev the car to about 3000 rpm in neutral. i didnt even bother taking it for a spin cause it feels like its about to stall and it feels shaky. what should i try next? i have no idea what's wrong at this point :confused:

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Air intake valve stuck open is a common problem on Bugs.

If you've checked all the hoses for signs of cracks and holes then that would be my guess. See a lot of threads about it on Bug forums :(

:)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
hey im new to these forums so thanks in advance for any help i may receive in the future. im really fed up with this car to be honest, ive had nothing but repair after repair from the start. most recently, i had a diagnostic check done and looked up the code that pertained to my CEL and it said the only problem was the mass air flow sensor. i go to replace it, only to see that the mass air meter hose has a giant hole in it. i buy that part, and i just replaced both of them today. i try starting the car, and it feels like its about to die, but luckily the check engine light is off. but, just in time, the CEL pops back on when i rev the car to about 3000 rpm in neutral. i didnt even bother taking it for a spin cause it feels like its about to stall and it feels shaky. what should i try next? i have no idea what's wrong at this point :confused:
What code(s) did you get then, and what codes(s) are being thrown now? What did that original code tell you exactly, must have been more than "mass air flow sensor". Sounds like ageneric code definition. Kind of silly AND expensive trying to "hit and miss" fix something by "trial and error" replacement of parts. Go here for more specif code look-ups with possible problems, diagnistics, and possible solutions.
Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki

Put up the codes and we will try to help you.

MORAV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the diagnostic check months ago, I don't remember the exact code as of this very moment but i did look it up immediately with my buddy that actually knows cars (unlike me) and the only thing that was faulty at the time was the mass air flow sensor. My car wasn't acting differently but I needed to save some money for the part so I drove on it for a short while, then one day the car started shaking and felt like it was going to stall, so i pulled over and had it towed home. After getting home, the air mass meter hose had the issue (a hole melted through at some point), that was a new development, not some "trial and error" guesswork. I'll run a diagnostic when I can again. I did just notice today however that a wire is missing from my MAF connector, how would I go about repairing that? Is it expensive? thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way to narrow down if it's the air intake valve or the IAC valve? I was thinking it could be my IAC valve stuck open, but since you said the air intake is a common problem it could go either way. I'll still run a diagnostic and let you guys know, but I was just wondering

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. My interpretation of the chain of events was that you found the hole when you replaced the mass air flow sensor. Not that it occured after the replacement.

I asked about the previous code(s), because seldom does a code say "this is bad, replace it", usually there will be several codes thrown, with psossible causes, diagnostics, and possible solutions, you can sometimes narrow the problem down by looking for a common denominator. I consider the Bentley and the eBahn site a bad source for looking up codes, which is why I gave you the link above. Just click on a code, and you will see the format I am talking about.

You should have a series of new codes, which can be looked at the same way, and that is why I was asking about the new codes.

Not sure about your wire issue, or even that I understand. Where is the wire? How do you know that it is an active pin on the connector? Probably need to look at a wiring schematic. I'm having a problem with pulling them up in my eBahn program right now.

M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just looked at your link, that's EXTREMELY helpful thanks a lot for that. I looked at the P0101 code (since that's the code for the MAF sensor, therefore probably the one I received originally), and it said another possibilty in that problem code is a faulty air intake filter. since you said to look for a common denominator, im guessing that it is maybe a stuck air intake valve like the first poster said (?). I'll run a diagnostic ASAP. is it a pain to fix a stuck open valve? thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh and as far as the wiring goes, i looked into it, and sometimes a MAF connector will have 5 connections that are ABLE to be used, but many cars only have four wires that connect to it anyway leaving one of them unused. at least that's my understanding of it. i was assuming that a wire was torn off somehow

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I can't answer that question, I haven't had the situation to have to deal with it. Perhaps someone...
Trying sending Blugg a p/m, sounds like he may have dealt with it.
Search the threads!

What about this wire thing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think my assumption on the wiring was correct before. I'm pretty sure that what you're saying about there not being an active pin is what i'm getting at. there are 4 pins plugged into the MAF connector but the connector looks like it has the capability of holding 5, and i just assumed that a 5th pin was missing. i PM'd blugg btw, hopefully i get a response soon. i have a friend bringing over his diagnostic tonight. thanks for your help and that reference guide

1 - 10 of 10 Posts