VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marilyn's air pump has been hanging loose for a long time because the rubber holders had deteriorated and broken. It probably vibrated around so much that it got damaged but I'm not sure. This video talks about the air pump being expensive and tells how to diagnose it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj-...yXV97pseUC7gBGQMWhlv5SjSHTDTHf65uvK4P93FKlbhQ

First, I'd like to start by replacing those rubber holders/grommets: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlqzwyv9uqagcsd/2016-03-19 09.20.12.jpg?dl=0

Do I have to go to VW dealership or can I order them online?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
air pump

Hope you didn't have to pay too much for that airpump cause they have them on ebay and also the rubber mounts. I only paid 100 for my pump and the rubber mounts where 3-5 bucks a piece.
good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The rubber mounts are made by Dorman, and I was able to find them at most of the local parts shops like Advanced Auto and Autozone.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amazon Prime

I joined Amazon Prime and they shipped me a new pump and rubber mounts. Price was $84.50 for the pump and $10.99 for the rubber mounts. The pump was sitting on the porch when I came home.

Smog check problem solved!

Hope you didn't have to pay too much for that airpump cause they have them on ebay and also the rubber mounts. I only paid 100 for my pump and the rubber mounts where 3-5 bucks a piece.
good luck.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Test

This Passat owner from Snohomish WA had an easy fix for P0411: P0411 SAIP easy fix

I hope I didn't blow it by buying a new air pump. Maybe I should do some more testing tomorrow.

Woke up in the middle of the night and see that Haynes has wiring diagrams that should be checked too. I'll bet the relay is burnt just like my fuel pump relay. I replaced the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump though so maybe I'll be replacing both the secondary air injection pump relay and the air pump here too.

Haynes says that the 50A fuse is in a "fuse bracket" and it must be on top of the battery which look in good condition. There are no 50A fuses on the driver's side by the door.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
cool

I joined Amazon Prime and they shipped me a new pump and rubber mounts. Price was $84.50 for the pump and $10.99 for the rubber mounts. The pump was sitting on the porch when I came home.

Smog check problem solved!
cool, that sounds like a better deal. Good to see you fix the problem. :goodjob:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smog Check - Pass

I went in for the retest and was able to pass. That new Air Injection pump from Amazon didn't really fit with the new rubber Dorman 911-926 Air Pump Mounts and I didn't even use them. Will the pump last long without the rubber mounts? Maybe I can fix the original air pump and put it back in with the new rubber mounts.

Amazon.com: Dorman 911-926 Air Pump Mount: Automotive

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
It may have to be one sturdy resistor, depending on the current flow that the ECU needs to see. Part of the emissions test is to make sure that everything that is supposed to be there is actually there anyhow.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
Not sure on the resistor, but I know you can get it coded out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts