NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine are not. Plans are to alter them myself to make them be so.

Where do I slit the fabric? I want to cut as little as possible out, while still making them safe.

Does anyone have a pic of their side-airbag safe covers?

Or at least who can point me to the portion of the seat the airbags deploy from so I can figure it out on my own?

Thankya!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Muse said:
Mine are not. Plans are to alter them myself to make them be so.

Where do I slit the fabric? I want to cut as little as possible out, while still making them safe.

Does anyone have a pic of their side-airbag safe covers?

Or at least who can point me to the portion of the seat the airbags deploy from so I can figure it out on my own?

Thankya!
The airbag comes out of the outer bolster seam. I was told by many upholsterers that that seam can only be stitched by a special sewing machine, and they all refused to reupholster my entire seats because they didn't want to be responsible for any safety issues. This special machine supposedly uses a special thread and stitch, and only manufacturers have them. What I ended up doing with the R32 seats I bought was to keep the bolsters black and just change the inserts to match my cream interior. Hope that helps.

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, this thread is old and I forgot about it.

I pulled off my driver's side seat cover, and looked - I don't notice a difference in the seams of the seat at all.

I still have no clue where on the seat they deploy from.

I love my seat covers, darn it.

If someone out there knows, or can point me to a pic so I can just cut a slit in my covers, I will love you forever ;)

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
What I was told from one seat cover vendor who claimed to have been in upholstery for many many years is that those airbags are strong enough to blow through the seat upholstery and a silly little seat cover will not get in their way either. Basically he said they were so strong they rip the side panel off the seat. As long as you aren't locking it down with steel seat covers or something you should be alright. If you were really concerned, I would stitch a slit all the way down the side. If you stitch each side of the slit you will probably be ok.

I just ordered some seat covers though (not from this guy) and they specifically alter the cover for airbags somehow. I will take pics when I get them in the mail and show you what they did.

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I know someone who's airbags deployed and ripped right through the covers, but my fiance will stop breathing down my neck once I slit them, so slit them I will, and it's not a huge deal to me to do it.

I figure I'll slit the spot, and loose stitch enough so they don't gap.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
jpdeuce said:
What I was told from one seat cover vendor who claimed to have been in upholstery for many many years is that those airbags are strong enough to blow through the seat upholstery and a silly little seat cover will not get in their way either. Basically he said they were so strong they rip the side panel off the seat. As long as you aren't locking it down with steel seat covers or something you should be alright.
I call :bs:

A "silly little seat cover" can, indeed, interfere with the airbag.
First, in some circumstances, the airbag will be completely retained by a seat cover, making it completely useless.
Second, if the airbag is able to "break through" the seat cover, it's likely (ney, almost a given) that it's deployment will be slowed and/or diverted by a seat cover, resulting in the airbag in a location not per design (again, making it essentially useless in an accident).

Both the location and strength of the break-away seam of the seat are precisely designed to deploy the airbag, in a fraction of a second, so that it ends up in the intended location/position to buffer secondary impact. Anything in it's path as it inflates stands a very good chance of deflecting the path of deployment so that less of the airbag is actually in a position to buffer that impact (in worst-case scenario, it could inflate in a direction so it ends up deploying behind the seat, leaving you absolutely no protection... and possibly injuring anyone in the rear seats)... or gets into position too late to protect you.

Not only that, but with seat covers that buckle on or strap on with velcro, that buckle or strap is likely to become a missle bouncing around the interior as the airbag inflates.

I highly recommend you only use seat covers designed for use on seats with side airbags. Ordinary seat covers pose way too much danger. Sacrificing the proper operation of your SRS just to save a few bucks on your seat covers just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Wet Okole has a couple of videos on their "safety" page of a side airbag deploying. They're pretty crappy resolution... but you can kind of tell that the airbag typically exits out the front of the break away side panel. I believe this is common for most side airbags, including those in a NB. Of course, someone who was unfortunate enough to have been in an accident where the NB side airbag deployed would be the ultimate auhority on that.

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm confident enough in my sewing ability to stitch the proper slits. I LIKE my seat covers.

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
Muse said:
I'm confident enough in my sewing ability to stitch the proper slits. I LIKE my seat covers.
Seat covers Rock :D . Specially in verts that have black leather :D

Im not too worried about the airbags, If im hit that hard for the airbag in the seat to deploy Im going to be hurting anyways .. just my .02 cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts