NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I washed, waxed, and vacuumed my car and after my air bag light came on. I was vacuuming under the seats but I did not hit any wires. Anyone have any ideas? I disconnected the negative terminal and hooked back up and the light came off for 2 seconds and went back on. :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
I washed, waxed, and vacuumed my car and after my air bag light came on. I was vacuuming under the seats but I did not hit any wires. Anyone have any ideas? I disconnected the negative terminal and hooked back up and the light came off for 2 seconds and went back on. :(
Check under the seat for any loose wires,i read theres a common problem with some wiring under the seat or the seat belt bucle. The best thing to do is to get it scan to know for sure whats causing it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
common problem

Welcome to the club...LOL :D common problem with the beetles the wires break right where the seat belt buckle is and inside where you can't get to them for repair. Scan it with a vag-com to reset or see exactly which seat is the actual problem. You might have to replace the buckle side of the seat belt, about $100

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi http://amzn.com/B005WGR22Q

I bought this one for mine, airbag light was on. Drivers side seat belt was the problem, wiring had previously been soldered back together. I saw them new on eBay for around $70. I just reconnected and soldered mine. I also adjust the belt buckle forward so it would not catch on the seat and pull back from the turbo S seats. Will replace down the road.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BME - Thank you. I will order that scanner tonight. What are the steps to clear the code to get the light off?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
If you have an actual issue, you can clear the light but it will just keep coming back until you fix it...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, I think I just hit something accidentally vacuuming under the seat. I pushed everything back in and hoping I just need to clear the light now. We all know nothing is ever that simple tho ;).

Figure I should try and buy this $40 part and try clearing it before I start taking stuff apart and replacing it. :D

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
BME - Thank you. I will order that scanner tonight. What are the steps to clear the code to get the light off?
It is pretty self explanatory when you get it. Basically you plug it in to the OBD port, pick VW/Audi mode, scroll to air bag, check DTC'S. Then go back and clear when you are finished. Done. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is pretty self explanatory when you get it. Basically you plug it in to the OBD port, pick VW/Audi mode, scroll to air bag, check DTC'S. Then go back and clear when you are finished. Done. :)
I got mine today , i just scan it and clear codes took me less then 5 minutes to this . Light is off. It comes with easy to follow instructions . This scanner already paid for it self. Any body in california in orange county am open to let you borrow mine .

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I got mine today , i just scan it and clear codes took me less then 5 minutes to this . Light is off. It comes with easy to follow instructions . This scanner already paid for it self. Any body in california in orange county am open to let you borrow mine .
So what was the code that was in there on yours? If I recall it was from retrieving the immobilizer pin?

·
Registered
66 Posts
So what was the code that was in there on yours? If I recall it was from retrieving the immobilizer pin?
the code i got was the folowing
01299-Diagnostic interface for data bus(J533)
49-10 No communication-intermittent.

yes i got the airbag light on by retrieving the immobilizer pin.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
the code i got was the folowing
01299-Diagnostic interface for data bus(J533)
49-10 No communication-intermittent.

yes i got the airbag light on by retrieving the immobilizer pin.
Cool, wanted to be sure that it could be cleared after coming on for that.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was intermittent driver side seat airbag. Drove it about 35 miles and no light yet. - Thanks again, I have to be more careful vacuuming.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I repaired mine on my Turbo S. I peeled the rubber right of the buckle and found a broken wire. I soldered back together, clear the code and good t go. what happends there is that the wires have no slack and over time they pull out or break. if it is broke inside the buckle you need a new one. I just saw a new OEM on ebay for $68.00.
is not a hard to do repair or replace. if it is intermitent like mine was the wire havent come apart yet but is about to. it just have some continuity left but by a hair.
Good luck bro.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
seatbelt bucke

I repaired mine on my Turbo S. I peeled the rubber right of the buckle and found a broken wire. I soldered back together, clear the code and good t go. what happends there is that the wires have no slack and over time they pull out or break. if it is broke inside the buckle you need a new one. I just saw a new OEM on ebay for $68.00.
is not a hard to do repair or replace. if it is intermitent like mine was the wire havent come apart yet but is about to. it just have some continuity left but by a hair.
Good luck bro.
$68 FOR A Drive side buckle? NO WAY, The cheapest I found was about 100. can u give us the link to this part or what you typed in the search on ebay to find that? now u got me curious.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts