VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we drove home last night, the airbag light went on, and stay on after cold-start. This morning I went down there, and check the pairs of wires that go into the harness underneath both driver and passenger seats. They are not loose or pulled out as other people met, but I still pull them out and re-plug in... no help. The generic code scanner I borrowed can't tell the error code either. any good but less expensive one to recommend?

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas how to fix the problem?

There are two [wire(with connector)- harness] sets on each side, one small and one large... which one is for the ABS, and which one is for the airbag? And I notice that the small one on the passenger side has a black wire connector that goes in a yellow harness, while the one on other side has both yellow (and the connector looks different, or maybe just my wrong impression) -- does that sound right to you?

Thanks in advance.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,252 Posts
VAG-COM is what you need. You can probably find someone locally who has one. Might be the seat belt buckle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Smileybug. Any more info on changing the buckle, or diagnose which one is broken? The nearest vag-com is one and half hour away, sigh... and I don't really have $600 to spend. Do I have to go to stealer for the worse ever work.:mad:had really bad experience with State College VW dealer.

update: the light is still on after I unplug the battery for couple hours... so there is a real problem there.

VAG-COM is what you need. You can probably find someone locally who has one. Might be the seat belt buckle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the only way to reset the air bag controller is with a VAG-COM, the dealers 5052 or other similar equipment , unplugging the battery for and extended amount of time will not reset the controller. Also note that when the airbag light is on the system is deactivated, meaning no airbags if you get into a collision.

Running a check on the controller will also tell you what is wrong, without testing you are just guessing, it could be an airbag igniter / squib instead of the broken wire you are looking for.

Call around to you local independent shops and dealer to see if can read the codes - see if they will give you the codes and let you come back and reset the controller once you have fixed the problem for a nominal fee?

In my local area they charge $90.00 to reset the code / controller - in the long run it is just easier to purchase the Vag-Com as two resets or so you have paid for the equipment and will have it for life.

Krash

·
Registered
27 Posts
Krash

in the long run it is just easier to purchase the Vag-Com as two resets or so you have paid for the equipment and will have it for life.
Where can I buy this? Vag-Com?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Krash, Thanks for the info. I got a chance to run VAG-COM this afternoon, and found the following error code(00591 seat belt switch driver).I guess it's the seat belt buckle on the driver side??
I then clear the error code , the light was off, and hasn't shown on yet. If it was back again, I'll get the buckle from stealership though.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
belt buckle

Krash, Thanks for the info. I got a chance to run VAG-COM this afternoon, and found the following error code(00591 seat belt switch driver).I guess it's the seat belt buckle on the driver side??
I then clear the error code , the light was off, and hasn't shown on yet. If it was back again, I'll get the buckle from stealership though.
Don't go to stealer for parts, You can buy it online for like $100 bucks at 1stvwparts.com or If you know a little about electronics you can do like a lot of folks do and just put a 10 cent resistor inline and defeat the system then just reset the code with the vag-com....LOL, crazy folks that is. good luck man.:D A high percentage of the new beetles have this same problem, but there is no recall from VW that I know of. I read in one post a while back where one beetle owner said he got tired of seeing that light so just put a piece of black tape on the light, problem fixed..LOL:D

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Definitely check out 1stvwparts. They are very helpful on the phone if you ever have a question. You will need to disconnect the battery and get a special tool to remove the buckle. It is about $30 and can be found online. I forgot the name of it - I will try to find it for you. Then the light can be reset. I had this exact same issue a couple years ago and the light has not come back. Good luck!

Edit - it is a triple square bit, I could not find it at Autozone or O'Reilly's and the guys there didn't have a clue when I asked. I think someone else did find it at a parts store. It is an easy job if you have it.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I searched for the buckles for a 2001 MY - choose your interior color and driver or passenger side.

Buckle, Beige Left
BUCKLE
List Price : $142.00
Your Price : $103.94

Quantity:

Buckle, Beige Right
BUCKLE
List Price : $90.00
Your Price : $65.88

Quantity:

Buckle, Black Left
BUCKLE
List Price : $180.00
Your Price : $131.76

Quantity:

Buckle, Black Right
BUCKLE
List Price : $79.50
Your Price : $58.19

Quantity:

Buckle, Buffer Back
BUMPER
List Price : $11.50
Your Price : $7.02

Quantity:

Buckle, Gray Left
BUCKLE

Quantity:

Buckle, Gray Right
BUCKLE
List Price : $79.50
Your Price : $58.19

Quantity:

Browsing Items 1 to 7 of 7 Pages 1
Catalog Note: LH or Left = Driver Side; RH or Right = Passenger Side

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can fix your seat belt buckle for about 2 bucks...just got to radio shack and buy a resistor to plug into your buckle harness. Check this info but if I remember correctly its a 470 ohm resistor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks CoriBug.
After behaving good for a week after resetting, the light is back now. I guess it's time to change the driver side seat belt buckle. Just want to make sure this is the one I need. I had 00591 error code for driver side, and the belt is black with red button.
Besides does anyone have a good tutorial about it? Precaution about taking off the seat and wires?
I only found this one useful, but want to find some more if possible. Thanks.
I searched for the buckles for a 2001 MY - choose your interior color and driver or passenger side.
Buckle, Black Left
BUCKLE
Catalog Note: LH or Left = Driver Side; RH or Right = Passenger Side

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Call 1stvwparts if you have any questions. They also ask for your VIN when you order to make sure you receive the correct part. Disconnect the battery and you'll be fine. It's not too hard.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Billymade and CoriBug. Any other link to do thejob.
I assume I have to remove the driver side seat in order to change the buckle?

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Yup. That why you disconnect the battery - You don't want the airbag to deploy. Do you have your battery code? It's a good time to vacuum under the seat! :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for your help, you are awesome.

I ordered the buckle from 1stvwparts, but it took so long to come here. Was bounded to work on Sat, but finally found a time on Sunday. Got it replaced. Right now the light is off, hope that's it. Below is what I did, hope someone find it useful.
1. tools needed: Philips screw driver, triangle bit set (8mm) and 12 mm hex driver;

2. Disconnect the battery; push the seat all the way forward, and fold it, remove the black small covers on the rails, you will see two Philips screws, remove them and the black rail cover;

3 move the seat backward, there are 2 12mm bolts on the front side the seat, next to the handle with which you move the seat, remove them. use pliers to squeeze the black plastic in between the two bolts while push the seat back out of the rail. Now be careful, there are cables connected on the bottom of the seat that you must disconnect, tilt the seat back, and you'll have more space to work.

4. I found it easy to change the buckle by taking the whole seat out. If you decide to do so, prepare some carpet or cushion so that you won't scratch you beloved seat. WATCH OUT YOUR BACK!!

5 Swap the seat belt buckle is not so hard, just patient. But you will need a cable to reset the light. I got one from Amazon, and use free VAG-COM lite. It works.
Please let me know if you need help. I am in center PA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks and a Question

This is a great and informative thread. I was able to replace my driver-side buckle on my 2006 NB TDI. There were a couple of hitches that I wanted to talk about (and a question to ask) to add more to the thread. I ended up doing the replacement without removing the seat, but by disconnecting 2 of the 3 cables and twisting around the seat (and myself).

* On my vehicle I needed a 13mm wrench to remove the two, large bolts that secure the front end of the seat.

* I also needed a small pair of smooth jawed pliers to depress a tab on the large, white bracket and remove the yellow connector (bottom, right of picture) for the old seat belt assembly and slide in the new assembly. I think after I depressed it I slid the assembly BACK toward the clip that I depressed. Without this, I couldn't have removed the old connector.

* I bought the part from 1stvwparts.com for $58. For some reason the passenger side buckles are a LOT more than the driver side. The listing of parts has changed from what was listed in the earlier posts and the description of the item I purchased was "with" airbag cutoff. The part number on my buckle isn't what's in their system, but it worked out with the VIN. What they sent me was 1Y1858471GFCN.

QUESTION:

How does one disconnect the end of the middle, green harness? It has arms down the side that slide over a protrusion on the larger piece. I searched online without success for an answer. I improvised a kind of tweezers to slide under the arm to see if I can work the end off, but I was VERY reluctant to snap the plastic and therefore gave up when I thought the tension on the plastic was a no-no. But as a result I found that you could do this job with the seat still inside the car. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are part snake, but it can be done.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts