NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had the airbag light since I bought this. I figured since I'm waiting on parts and have the floor console removed that it would be a good time to look at the airbag module and wiring. Below are the error codes related to the air bag system.

What else might be good to check?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
5/23/10 <3
11,121 Posts
Have you cleared the codes and see which ones come back? The last code is usually related to a low battery, and a low battery can cause all kinds of wonky codes to pop up in addition.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you cleared the codes and see which ones come back? The last code is usually related to a low battery, and a low battery can cause all kinds of wonky codes to pop up in addition.
Not yet. My scanner won't clear airbag codes. Have a VCDS on its way though. I started at the bottom thinking it may have triggered the other ones. Battery was dead when I bought it.

Updated image in first reply.

Robert

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
Good call: the idea, that ALL of those airbag related parts; are bad at the same time, is a very remote scenario. As indicated in the ross tech code definitions; possible electrical issues, charging problems or a airbag related disconnection, (while the battery was connected), may have been why all these codes, were thrown.

Check these sample codes; for typical possible reasons for codes being thrown:

I would clear all the codes; have your charging system tested and do a test drive, to see, if the codes come back (typically a indicator of a hard fault). I believe, you WILL need a factory level VW scan tool; like VCDS, to clear the airbag codes and you maybe, able to more in depth live data based testing, reader blocks, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleared the codes and so far burning had cove back. I still have the airbag lift though. I don't think my scanner clears the light.

·
Registered
772 Posts
When vcds gets here go into the airbag module and you can read codes and clear them. I just did that on my daughters beetle tonight.

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
X2 on VCDS, with airbag issues; VCDS will open a whole world of solid diagnosis capability and clearing things like proprietary ABS/SRS related faults. Once you start using VCDS: you can start diagnosing things in a more intelligent way and testing procedure info, all over the web, shown on youtube, in the service manual, plus the ross tech discussion site, will eliminate much of guessing, throwing parts at things and finally, give you full control, of your repair process. VCDS's capabilities are deep; most of us, have just scratched the surface of what it can do! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
How was the work to get to the control module? Can I go in from the side or am I in for removing the entire console?

Mine is only throwing 00003 - Control Module 014 - Defective

Was told by the local (non dealer) VW shop that I should just look for a used one. I have and they aren't expensive but I believe there is reprogramming necessary. A different thread said the best bet is to send one off and have it repaired.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How was the work to get to the control module? Can I go in from the side or am I in for removing the entire console?

Mine is only throwing 00003 - Control Module 014 - Defective

Was told by the local (non dealer) VW shop that I should just look for a used one. I have and they aren't expensive but I believe there is reprogramming necessary. A different thread said the best bet is to send one off and have it repaired.
On mine I needed to remove the entire shifter console because the plastic cover that needed removed had to be slid rearward to remove. I have seen a video where just the left side needed to be removed on certain models. Once accessible you can easily get to the bolts to remove the module. Luckily I will not have to do that as it seems my airbag codes were due to low power.

With everything apart, it's a great time to clean the carpet really well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My airbag light was caused by the seat belt buckle. The wire had broken at the buckle due to the constant movement. I got a "new to me" one from the scrap yard for approx $5 with a 30 day warrenty and it solved my problem.

p.s. the prior owner had put tape over the airbag light, i guess that "fix" cost almost nothing, but a fully functioning airbag for $5 looks like a good deal to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts