NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You can pretty much go to the bank on it being electrical. And the most typical problem is the driver's side seat belt buckle. Here's a good read
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/43386-advice-re-seatbelt-buckle-causing-airbag-light.html?highlight=seat+belt+buckle

Vag equipment should be able to isoltae the failed component as all send signals to the control module.

Below I've attached the applicable information from your Owner's Manaual , which basically tells you nothing, however, with a malfunction there is always the possiblity you airbag(s) will not deploy in the event of an accident, and your life might be riding on it.

M.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I too, try not to wear mine. Personal liberty issue! :D

That aside, I'm not saying it's the buckle, just a common problem, usually broken wire from what I've read. And I've read not cheap to have replaced either.

M.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the way I feel about seat belts, too. ;) I'm old school, where I will wear them on the highway, but not in town to go a few blocks to the grocery store. However, seat belts likely saved my wife's life about 3 years ago. She hit some black ice and flipped her SUV on its roof! She was hanging upside down, suspended by the seat belt. A cop said if she hadn't been wearing them, she would have probably broken her neck. So..maybe I should wear them at least in the winter....

Anyway, being mechanically challenged as I am, I'm used to forking over lots of money at times, especially to fix and maintain Volkswagens. The dealership (now the only place around that works on VWs since an indy mechanic that was very good suffered a major stroke) already told me the gas latch alone could be as high as $300. :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:jawdrop: OMG!

If your in Indy, p/m IndyTom, he might be able to hook you up with someone or...

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I think he meant "indy mechanic" as in an independent mechanic ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts