NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was checking my codes and clearing them and then the door lock and alarm stopped working properly.

The doors would unlock, but not lock with the remote, and when unlocking, instead of just one unlocking, both would unlock and the key when I use that, won't turn on the alarm, it just locks the door. On the door, the button won't lock or unlock the doors anymore either.

I don't know what the problem is, but I don't want that alarm accidentally going off on it's own and I don't want to get locked in the car if the locks won't pop up.

Is there a fuse I can pull or a wire I can cut to stop the alarm from sounding. I don't mind if the alarm and door locks are connected, I can just use the key and buy an alarm and make the door locks work again with that.

99 Beetle 2.0 there is no chip in the key

If you know how to fix this, that would be great, otherwise I just want to shut it off and I will buy an alarm and fix it that way.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I have an 02. The doors will unlock, eg the door lock pins pop up, from the inside by just pulling on the door latch. I don't know if a 98 if different.

Also, sometimes the rear hatch lock relay may become corroded. Does the trunk light come on when the hatch is opened? If not this could indicate an issue with the latch which could affect how the alarm is set. The security system does not arm because it appears that the rear hatch is not closed. This is what happened to me. I also had random alarms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 02. The doors will unlock, eg the door lock pins pop up, from the inside by just pulling on the door latch. I don't know if a 98 if different.

Also, sometimes the rear hatch lock relay may become corroded. Does the trunk light come on when the hatch is opened? If not this could indicate an issue with the latch which could affect how the alarm is set. The security system does not arm because it appears that the rear hatch is not closed. This is what happened to me. I also had random alarms.
Thanks, I'll check out that rear hatch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts