NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Reluctant Stick-Shifter
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2000 manual transmission Beetle for six years, and there are certain quirks that I just learned to deal with. Now I'm curious whether these are normal behaviors, and who better to ask than the New Beetle Forums!

• If I try to start the car with either of the doors locked, the alarm goes off. So my routine is to press the unlock button on the key fob twice (once to unlock the driver door, and again to unlock the passenger door) before putting the key in the ignition. Is this how it's supposed to work?
  • When I press the trunk open button on the key fob, the hatchback lid pops up about half an inch to show that it's unlocked, and then makes a noise that sounds like it's trying to lift the trunk lid. It doesn't actually lift itself, though, so I have to pull it up with my hand. Not a big issue, but again, is this normal or is my Beetle supposed to open its lid at the push of a button?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,034 Posts
First issue - no that's not normal. I bet you have an issue with a microswitch somewhere. Do all the interior lights come on when you open either door?

Second - that's normal. The hatch doesn't open itself entirely. Just pops a little.

·
Reluctant Stick-Shifter
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First issue - no that's not normal. I bet you have an issue with a microswitch somewhere. Do all the interior lights come on when you open either door?

Second - that's normal. The hatch doesn't open itself entirely. Just pops a little.
Thanks for clearing that up! I'll check whether or not the interior lights come on when I open either door once I get the car back from the mechanic later today - He says the engine's misfiring and he wants to replace an O2 sensor.

...which honestly means nothing to me. I am so not a car person, but I feel like I could be, if I just knew where to start. Where do I go to learn about Beetle anatomy and physiology?

Googling "engine misfire" tells me what it is, which is great, but I don't really have the context to know what that means for the prognosis on a Beetle with only 76,000 miles. I really want to drive it into the ground (which should take a while, considering the fact that I have a 3-mile commute), but I can't get a firm idea of how reliable it's going to be and whether the money I'm pouring into repairs is a waste. (Ha, I know, I've veered way off topic here. Thanks for bearing with me.)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,034 Posts
Depends on the engine as to what the cause is of a misfire. Hopefully he isn't replacing the O2 sensor for that issue, as that won't be the cause.

What engine do you have?

And really, here is a great place to learn about the Beetle, inside and out. Best thing to do is just read, read, read. And if you have an issue arise with the car, go ahead and post here about it. We love helping others and want everyone to have a well working car and to not get screwed by a mechanic in the process. We are great at giving suggestions to solutions to problems and ways to troubleshoot issues you have.

·
Reluctant Stick-Shifter
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on the engine as to what the cause is of a misfire. Hopefully he isn't replacing the O2 sensor for that issue, as that won't be the cause.

What engine do you have?

And really, here is a great place to learn about the Beetle, inside and out. Best thing to do is just read, read, read. And if you have an issue arise with the car, go ahead and post here about it. We love helping others and want everyone to have a well working car and to not get screwed by a mechanic in the process. We are great at giving suggestions to solutions to problems and ways to troubleshoot issues you have.
Thanks!!

I have the 2.0 liter engine. (If that doesn't give you enough information, I'm sorry! Tell me what to look at and I'll report back.)

The interior lights do come on when I open either door, to answer your earlier question.

I picked the car up and they made no mention of an O2 sensor, but that's what they said on the phone when they were troubleshooting the check engine light yesterday. This is what their write-up says (to the best of my transcribing ability):

Car came in with a check engine light. Computer test (failed?)

1) Misfire on cylinder #4
2) (No idea - second word might say leak?)
3) Coolant temp sensor

First step: Diagnosed misfire (something) short at injector on cylinder #4. Repair short and replace injector.

Also put car on vacuum machine - find leaking (hvcs?) to manifold. Remove and replace old cracked (hose?)

Replace coolant sensor and refill with new fluids. (Partandn + pmonosires??)

Change oil and filter

Replace (front new light?)
Here's a picture in case anyone feels like being a detective and deciphering the parts I couldn't make out:

ImageUploadedByAG Free1400084782.552362.jpg

I'm going to be back at the shop later today, so I can ask any questions you think I should be asking, including "can you read this to me so I can write it down legibly?" (Going back for an unrelated thing - they're evaluating my boyfriend's potential new car prior to purchase. We like this shop, but neither of us are gearheads or whatever, so what do we know?)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,034 Posts
Whenever you have a CEL, its important to get the actual code numbers. They just wrote down the descriptions, and unless they are a VW shop and have the VW scan tool, their code reader may not decode correctly. Injectors are rarely an issue, so I wouldn't be surprised if the issue isn't resolved. Usually its spark plugs, wires, or the ignition coil that are sources of misfire on the 2.0.

Also, even though your car has pretty low miles, I hope the timing belt has been changed. If not, you need to look into getting that done ASAP. Important maintenance to be done for sure.

·
Yellow Ducky
90 Posts
I experienced the same issue as the first on a regular basis if the Yellow Ducky locks itself while I'm in the vehicle and start the engine.
So, it's normal to me, for both issues.

·
Reluctant Stick-Shifter
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whenever you have a CEL, its important to get the actual code numbers. They just wrote down the descriptions, and unless they are a VW shop and have the VW scan tool, their code reader may not decode correctly. Injectors are rarely an issue, so I wouldn't be surprised if the issue isn't resolved. Usually its spark plugs, wires, or the ignition coil that are sources of misfire on the 2.0.

Also, even though your car has pretty low miles, I hope the timing belt has been changed. If not, you need to look into getting that done ASAP. Important maintenance to be done for sure.
That's a good point - I'll ask for the codes from now on. It's not a VW shop.

The timing belt hasn't been changed during my ownership (65,000 miles to 76,000 miles). I'm moving down from Massachusetts to North Carolina in two weeks and will have that done there at a VW shop, unless you think there's a serious risk of it becoming an issue during the 750 mile trip. My assumption is that it will be at least marginally cheaper to do in NC, and I'm nervous about driving my car that kind of distnace right after having a major service performed, so I'd rather not try to squeeze it in before I leave. Buuut if you think I really ought to get it done beforehand, I'll have to find a good VW shop in MA, and I'll take suggestions!

At what age/mileage is the timing belt due for a replacing, typically? And I've heard of cars having timing chains rather than timing belts - More durable and so forth. Is it feasible to have a VW shop put a timing chain on the Beetle when I go in for the replacement?

·
Reluctant Stick-Shifter
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I experienced the same issue as the first on a regular basis if the Yellow Ducky locks itself while I'm in the vehicle and start the engine.

Thanks! I'm so in the habit of making sure it's unlocked that I didn't even think about it until I had someone else try to drive it and they set off the alarm. Must be a yellow bug thing.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,034 Posts
A good interval to follow is every 60-80k or every 5 years, whichever comes first. Unfortunately its not so simple as just putting a chain on. That's a whole different system. Luckily with a 2.0 the timing belt job is cheaper than any of the other engines. Where in NC are you moving? I know of some good shops around the state, so hopefully there will be one where you end up!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,034 Posts
Everything Euro in Winston is where I would go. Good independent shop. I don't know much about Flow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts