VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! This is my first post, but I've been lurking around for a while. I've been forced into this post by a rather urgent problem...sorry for the long post

I have an '00 New Beetle that my husband bought about 2 months ago. There are several issues that we have been working on, but nothing that prevents me driving it nearly everyday. We only got one key with the car (switchblade with fob that didn't work). I did the test from Sidewinder's website and it appears the door latch was bad. I opted to get a regular key at this time since the remote/fob wouldn't work until we get the door latch issue fixed. I received my key, cable, and software. We were able to "program" the chip no problem and it has been working great.

Fast forward to yesterday. I left the sunroof up and it started raining. I ran out to close the roof and while I was doing that the alarm went off! It was the first time the light next to the lock knob had ever been on to my knowledge. I tried shutting the door, starting the car, locking and unlocking the door. Nothing seemed to work. It seemed it just had to run so long then the alarm stopped. When I was leaving work at 5 the alarm went off again. I've been fiddling with it this morning and it continues to go off. The fob doesn't seem to be doing anything. Every time I open the passenger door the alarm goes off and when I start the car the alarm goes off. so obviously I can't drive the car anywhere without dealing with the alarm.

Thank you all so much in advance for your input and help in this rather urgent (to me) matter!!!

Peace, Love, and V-Dubs!

Margaret in Oklahoma

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Typically, the problem with the alarm going off; is a bad lock module, most likely the drivers side as it gets the most use.

Have you tried to read any trouble codes? If you have a VW specific code reader; you can read the immobilizer and alarm related trouble codes. If there is a electrical fault; typically, it will throw a code. You need to read those codes; to try to figure out what is wrong.

Note: when the light is flashing next to the lock/unlock knob, it means the alarm is armed. So, theoretically you are opening the door; when the alarm is on and the alarm isn't being disarmed, when you unlock the door (which is what it should do). See a connection here? The door lock module; has to work correctly to do this, they are typically damaged and everything in the alarm system can go goofy.

Here the the typical problems; which you can attempt to repair or just replace the lock module.

VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure there is an issue with the door latch/lock on the drivers door. The interior lights don't respond to this door, but they do with the pass door and the hatchback/trunk. The light next to the lock knob has now gone off (as mysteriously as it appeared).

We haven't purchased a scanner yet, so I'm not able to check the codes.

The immobilizer ligth comes on, when I turn the key, but then goes off.

Thank you both for your help. I guess it's time to buy a scanner. I know there are numerous places to buy them, but would you mind recommend a middle of the road option. And an option for purchasing the door lock switch also if you would please.

Thanks again so much for the help! I'm sure I'll be back for more. The antenna and headliner are upcoming projects and the blend doors too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts