NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 2005 beetle convertible which did not have an owner's manual -
when i put the top down the light above the rear view mirror flashes showing a display of the top down and an alarm sounds for a few seconds if i start driving the car even tho the top has retracted down far enough for the latches on the top cover to lock into place-

am i doing something wrong or is it a faulty alarm, etc?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Greetings bellevuecolt!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of NBC ownership!

If your 2005 is like mine, you need to keep the top motor engaged when lowering until it stalls (stops whirring) -- then the top will register as properly stored. I didn't get this from reading the owners' manual that was supplied with my 2007. The service manager at the dealership where I purchased mine taught me about the top operation. I guess since this was my tenth convertible the salesman though I didn't need an such rudimentary instruction -- this is my first Volkswagen, however.

Enjoy your new convertible!

Kevin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Following off of what Overlander said . . . you really do have to keep holding that button down. I had assumed that the whirring meant that the top had gone down as far as it could - not so. I keep my finger on the button a bit longer and then I hear the infamous chime.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Until the Service Manager at the VW dealership showed me how it worked, I would have been afraid to hold the button down so long after the top appeared to be stowed. On my Chrysler and GM convertible, that would be inviting burning out the top's electric motor.

Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts
hold the button down until you hear a chime and the indicator goes off (and the motor turns off then as well.) then the top is fully down. otherwise it will sing and yell at you lol.
Thank Heavens for forums! I just got my 2005 convert yesterday and listened to her SCREAMING at me as I was driving. I thought I had the top locked down properly, but it wasn't good enough for Gretel!

·
treiber gefunden
882 Posts
That happens also if the top down sensor goes bad. I know 05 don't have the flaps but it should have a sensor. Hold the button down until u hear a chime and the light sensor above the rear view mirror goes from amber to blue, mine has a bad sensor so the top goes down fine but the amber light stays on and so does the chime.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thank Heavens for forums! I just got my 2005 convert yesterday and listened to her SCREAMING at me as I was driving. I thought I had the top locked down properly, but it wasn't good enough for Gretel!
I had problems with mine when I got mine ('05), I thought! I just wasn't holding the "down" button long enough. I have to hold it until the indicator light goes off, then it is fine.

Top lubrication is a service item. I don't remember the interval, but mine IS past due at a 43k odometer read. Time wise, I'm sure way past due. I figure 1 yr. = 15k miles, since I run such low mileage.

MORAV

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks so much

I just bought a 2007 (19K miles). I was about to take it in to a local dealer when I tried this forum. THANK YOU ALL--I just wasn't holding the button long enough to hear the chime.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yay! Thankyou

I had the same problem.Thank goodness for forums! Such an easy fix! Just got my 2005 beetle 2 days ago and was worried I would have to take it in ALREADY!

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
I would scan the car with a VW scan tool; the resulting trouble code, will most likely pinpoint the bad sensor for you. Check out the VAG 401 (corrected), Foxwell nt500 on amazon or VCDS by Ross tech.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Check out the bag 401
That would be the VAG 401 on Amazon!!!

Chances are there is a switch or latch problem. Often the rear latches have problems locking the top in the open position.

·
vdubsfrombirth
1 Posts
2005 New Beetle MANUAL operation top

Hi, the alarm sounds in my 05 NBC gl when I have the manual convertible top open , although it seems like it is latched and locked on both sides in the rear. Not sure if that is a microswitch? A sensor? Any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 and the roof retracts but stops short of fully closing hence the alarm - it will neither go up or down - drive a little then switch off and on and it goes up then I can put back down fully ????...checked hyd oil and lubed everything — very annoying - appreciate any ideas

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum. Bought the missus an 09 beetle bug C. And the issues have started, but its cool! I expected them. This thread just solved the latest issue, Thanks all!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I just got an NBC 2005 and the chime goes off even when the top is down (top is manual). Any thoughts— is this a sensor or fuse issue? Any thoughts would be fantastic!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts