NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so just got an 2000 bug with the 1.8 turbo yeaaa boost
I don't know much about the manufacturer I've been doing some research and decided on doing the diode mod for now and have ordered a his ssqblv and turbo smart mbc with a boost gauge I picked up the 4.3v diode to take me to the 11/12psi range but one thing there was too many variances in exactly what kind of boost I can run to get everything I can with out damageing the engin for now everything is stock with exception of modified air box it's nice and OPEN now and cut big muffler off have a greddy down pipe 3" and cat back on the way

So how much boost should I run

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
As i replied in your other thread, 17 psi is the absolute most you should do, mostly because thats about the max amount of air the stock ecu can account for. most people doing this stay at 14-15 just to be safe. much more and you will start running lean which has "very bad day" written all over it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much for the info and I am just doing diode mod till I can save up the 12,500 I need for the full build I've got big plans
For the car it just takes way more money than I have now so If I can spend 1.50$ on a diode that's the way I'm going lots of people have really good results and the ones who did not well if u really read what they say they probley have some body to wipe their ass for the cause they can't find it. What is a good 4 bar or well I'm rounding up here 60psi fuel reg and how strong is the cv axls and tranny in the bug

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
I have big plans as well. just to get going i'm going to need to get about five grand more. I have the block, head and crank for my build i just need to get all the internals, new cams, intercooler, tubing, exhaust and turbo and i'm set.

for the fuel regulator just get one off of ECS tuning. I have no idea about the CV axls, but if its the 5 speed it can take a pretty good amount, just upgrade the clutch. if you are going really big get hardened gears. I don't know actual numbers for this though. I do know the stock clutch can take up to around 215 hp, as thats where the highest stock tunes will take the car. with the diode mod i don't think you'll be able to safely get the car past 190hp, as you have an older 1.8T and they were't rated for as much as the later 1.8Ts were.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
When was the last time the timing belt/tensioner/water pump was changed? If you don't know, it needs to be done NOW.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about bbk my local oriels has one some body put depo on and then declined the part is about in bar=5/6 it is 70psi for a hole $120 said normal price is 199.99 so good lil savings and I can have it in my hand as soon as possible I had one on a 01 cobra r and worked perfect

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Go to usrt (usually sideways racing team) and they have 4bars for $40. Ecs tuning also has them for a lot less than that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
He'll yea that's way better than what I've been seeing what is a good site for blocks heads and cams and everything I'm a ford Honda and any motorcycle kinda guy. This car was given to me by my boss I can do almost any thing els with the car as far as working on vw's as far as oem repair but finding aftermarket part I can find the but..and a big one at that is the price. And eBay is out for me on used parts and majority of the new u never know what u are paying for some people are shady as the devils dick is red so yea any suggestions would very awesome. maybe I can build sooner. And is there any way to bypass the rail reg for adjustable external

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
As for the gearbox,they're pretty good,just don't trash it during shifts. It handles wide open throttle shifts pretty good. Mine has a hundred sixty thousand miles on it, and I haven't gnashed syncros,or bent shifter Forks yet like on some others (chevrolet,nissan,ford)that I've killed before. I'm pretty hard on my stuff sometimes, and the only thing that I've broken is the spider gears.(1st gear dump "on the chip" demolished them.) So get yourself a good limited slip differential. When you put that in the gearbox,make sure to get the bolt kit from ARP and bolt that ring gear on,because the rivets are weak also.
:)
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thanks so. Cv shafts will hold what's the hp rating on factory cv shafts my projected build is some where in the high 500 to some where in the 600 mark with 32psi worth of boost that's if I didn't get my motor guy too drunk hen we where talking I just want to build once and not go throu a life savings worth of should have changed this or reinfored that kinda thing. I don't have the money for too many trials and earas know what I mean

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow, that's a lot of ponies from a4 cylinder. Mines got about 90 at the wheels!;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
U think that's a lot watch the nopi drag series there 4cyl turbo motors put out 900 up to 1500 now the life span vs price sucks really bad but it is done in those cars. they are in the top fuel style class for tuners. I had a 74 ford mustang 2 with a 87 svo 2.4l turb 4cyl I raced in scca solo class pushing 495 rwhp I reallyiss that ugly baby hit green ol car

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where is a good place to plumb the boost controlor in the 2000 beetle this is some thing I have never done my self. ive gotten my blow off valve in and I got a 1" hose barbed t from the local hard ware store to vent both ports it works great and has made the boost curv smother and the air fule is good so I would call this a victory. And my boost gauge is in . Now I need the mbc in stalled so I can find just under limp mode till the map is clamped unless the stars align and I can run 12psi ill be happy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so the blow off valve was by passing and leaking about 7 lbs worth so put factory back on tinn I can order a good dual port valve but its spiking 15 psi and holding 10 get the right blov she will hold a 17 psi spike and a15 psi constant and no super necromancy as u called it with the diode mod I'm not hitting limp mode so did some looking and found out I have a ecu from proformace programming in Germany so yeaa for me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts