VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought this Beetle for my wife to have a fun cheap car to run around in. She has loved it so far, top down cruising. I actually enjoy it too. Fun car. Anyway, we've have a few months of care free cruising until Friday. She said the check engine light came on and the water temp light turned on. I checked the water level, it's good. I pulled the codes with my scanner and it appears there is a misfire everywhere lol.
P0300
P0301
P0302
P0304
P0305

It appears that only cylinder number 3 is playing nice. The car will run and drive. Terrible idle and feels like it wants to stall. Any tips on where to start? I can't believe all coils have gone bad at once. I did check over all the wiring and injectors. Everything appears plugged in and operational.

Thanks in advance.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,500 Posts
Have you changed the spark plugs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't done anything yet. We don't depend on that car so I'm researching before throwing parts at it. Are the plugs a known issue?

·
LVM86VT
3 Posts
Since the problem seems to come out of nowhere, I would try replacing the battery. A poorly charged or charging battery can generate codes that seem totally unrelated (since the ECU doesn’t have all the juice and acts up).

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
You might check the pcv diaphragm; a common failure on the 2.5L, causing a large unmetered vacuum leak.. The RKXTech repair kit; is said to be better quality, then the Dorman version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Checking fuel trims; is a way, to confirm things and narrow things down, to a vacuum leak, maf or possibly a fuel pressure/pump issue. + or - 10% is considered in the "normal" range; anything beyond that is a indicator of a problem, more investigation, testing is needed.

Sometimes, a dirty throttle body; can affect idle and cause the engine to stall, die (say coming to a stop light; slowing down to a full stop, then dies). A throttle body clean, new gasket and throttle body alignment procedure; can be the fix, for that issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I apologize I forgot to update this thread. I did replace the PCV valve, it was torn but the biggest issue was a freeze plug on the pass. side of the head had fallen out. I replaced it with a rubber universal unit and the car runs like a top again. I had no idea that there was vacuum in the cylinder head. If you take the valve cover off a small block or an LS it will still run normal just spray oil every where. Not that the picture really shows anything but I included one just to show where it went. It's tight in there.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Fender Tints and shades

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I don’t remember; maybe you are the first and only one? We don’t get allot of troubleshooting threads for the 2.5Lseems pretty reliable engine; aside from pcv, fuel pump, plastic intake manifold flap breakage and timing chain, tensioner issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts