VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
scanner showing all solenoids having circuit failure... is there a fuse I need to check or a connection? seems odd they would jusy ALL die at once.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
The odds of that are remote; when we have seen this issue, it typically means there is a wiring issue: check the external wires, plug and internal ribbon cable. Viewing live data with a vw scan tool like vcds
, can be helpful; to see, if the shift solenoids are working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Well, i guess it depends on your diag and repair strategy. Throwing random parts at the problem or do testing and a process of elimination, to confirm the issue, before replacing defective parts?

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
A VW scan tool; like vcds by ross tech, can view live data and help pinpoint the cause of the problems. Viewing live data; has the benefit of “seeing” what the tcm “sees” and allows on the fly, real world, data, as you drive the vehicle.

VCDS V2:

We see such a wide range of issues; causing shifting problems, that is why live data is really helpful and viewing it with a VW scanner is highly recommended. The common list of issues we see; is relatively long, damaged plugs, wire harnesses, sticking solenoids, worn valve bodies, damaged shifter assembly, bad sensors, worst case scenarios, internal damage, etc.

What year, model, engine and trans are you working with?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LMAO I think you missunderstood.... I wasn't suggesting I load the parts cannon.. more of a future preventative, do it while i am there kind of thing.

The car is a 2003 VW Beetle 2.0l with the 4 speed auto trans.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Well, it seems to be a Harbor Freight house brand scan tool; it claims to have domestic snd foreign coverage.

As to VW coverage and transmission live data; i guess, you need to try it out and see if it works?

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Once, you figure out the problem; we can discuss things further. As to new shift solenoids and valve body issues; just replacing the solenoids, may not address inherent weaknesses, in the valve body design. The better valve body rebuilders; address the solenoids and modify the valve body with a kit, from companies like Sonnax or TransGo. These companies, tend to re-engineer things and evaluate the common problems, come up with a solution, that addresses the design weaknesses in the original design, rather then, just throw new parts at the problem, which may end up, having the same problems, occurring again. We have had, good reviews, from members here; from this company: https://sunbeltvalvebodies.com/ You might contact them and discuss, your situation and see, what solutions, they offer you?

They seem to use high quality oem replacement parts, rework the valve bodies, to improve things, test their rebuilt valve bodies on a bench test machine and offer a solid warranty, to back up their product.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled the air filter box out to access the connector. There is no power on pin 1. During this process I noticed ATF pooled on top of transmission… I just bought this car have never driven it so I don’t know if they added fluid and sprayed it everywhere or if it’s a serious leak.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am the guy using the Harbor Freight scan tool. I figured out this morning how to select individual modules. I was able to read/clear the airbag codes unfortunately the driver side module in seat back is still having issues so light returned… Oh crap! I just realized you don’t have all the info lmao. I actually have 2 2003 VW Beetles one is a convertible here at home, the other is a hardtop at work. The one at work is the one you have been helping me with. It is the one with transmission codes but they BOTH have airbag lights and no power to a/c compressor. But this thread was intended to just address the transmission codes. I am still learning how to fully use this scan tool. But, I do not have access to the one with trans codes at this time so I cannot pull anything for you. I am concerned the issue is coming from the TCM as the harness going to Transmission has no power at pin 1. I am going to replace the cabin filter anyway so when I get the dash opened up I can take some voltage readings on the TCM. Sorry if I have confused/abused you… I seriously appreciate how you try to help so many people on this forum. If you are even in Cleburne Texas I will buy you a beer(or two) for everyone here.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
I haven’t used any “Zurich” scan tools; i use vcds by Ross Tech. Many Consumer level scanners have better coverage, then in the past; did you find out, if it can work with the 01M tcm or view related trans live data?

VCDS is only $199; highly recommended. It is essentially a clone of the vw factory scan tool; a solid solution and a great value, supported, developed, right here in the USA, in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I tried to read live data on the TCM and it said tool doesn’t support it… I paid $100.00 more for this tool than I would for the one you posted but such is life.. I did however find a video that showed me how to fix the airbag problem!!!! Now I just need to drive it until it runs all the tests so I can get it inspected!

This is the convertible…. Still have tranny codes on hard top…

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I try not to work on ANY cars but unfortunately I am married and have kids…. So I end up working on any and everything…. Rebuilt a Samsung washing machine not long ago…

1 - 20 of 21 Posts