VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha, new VW owner from Big Island of Hawaii, my first new Beetle. I have questions now, and am sure will have many more in the future. Not new to the marque, in the far past Iʻve owned many VWs, let's how my memory functions: 1 Westphalia, 2 transporters, 1 Dopplekabine, 3 Beetles, one Super beetle convertible.

Just by way of intro. Not expecting answers, but directions to the specific forii will be apreciated.

2003 Convertible, haven't yet figured out how to determine the trim level. Leather, Monsoon 6 disc CD and tape deck sound system premium alloy wheels.

Description - Very good overall condition, minor wear and tear, low mileage, just ticked over 100,000 the day I got it. Great car for Kona coast, Hawaii. Got the typical "top has shrunk and pulled away from the rear glass". Repaired by a previous owner with duct tape and predictable results.

Lighting schedule - since VW doesn't trust owners to change a light bulb, there is no bulb ID table in the manual. Does a schedule exist anywhere? So far I need 1 fog light, 1 open door light, 1 glove box light.

Door disassembly - the leather coverings on the door panels and around the back seat are coming unglued (it happens on all Hawaii bugs), and I also need to trace the in-door wiring on the drivers side to find out why that mirror doesnt function. How to go about opening up without breaking anything? One related oddity, raising the pax side rear quarter window works normally (although it stops 1/4" shy of sealing against the door glass) using the key outside, or using the all-at-once switch), but if I operate the stand-alone switch it goes up to 3/4 - then backs down to 1/2 and stops. Down works mormally.

Sport shift - the car just had the transmission shifting body (?) ($675.00) part replaced, and all new filters and fluid. It shifts perfectly smoothly and behaves normally in D, including no hunting for gears on cruise control. If I move over to the right gate into so-called 'sport' mode (our Subaru has this too) it reads the gear on the display, but shifting + or - doeasn't change gears. We have a lot of steep roads on our island, including our driveway, so I would like to fix this of not too big or expensive a project.

Suspension/wheels - back to our driveway ... with anyone in the back seat, it scrapes on our approach. Is there any way to augument the rear suspension? A little stiffer would be OK and I would really like to pick up the rear an inch or so. The alloys are in great shape, but I want steelies (red), dog dishes, and beauty rings. The local shop is getting me a quote for new wheels with clips and the rest. Any recommendations or hacks? What are the Alloys generally worth?

Attachments

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hey, welcome to the .org! :) You have had; a impressive array of Volkswagens! :)

For specific issues; I would start some threads, in their respective troubleshooting areas on this site.

As for getting the correct light bulbs; look up your car the the auto bulb catalog on Sylvania's website:

Lamp Replacement Guide Home

As for working on these cars; you should consider getting a scan tool, as these are heavily computer controlled and require these tools to figure out what is going on. On the low end; check out the ELM327 wireless adapter and a app; to run on a phone/tablet on amazon.com (about $20-$30 total). For VW specific; check out the VAG401 on amazon ($50) and the high end factory level scan tool VCDS by Ross Tech ($250-$350).

There is a little info; to get you started and researching things and created those new threads, to work on other problems and we will go from there! Welcome, aboard! :flipper:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts