NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister-in-law has a 2007 NB convert with the 2.5L engine (almost a clone to my wife's 2007).

Anyway, her alternator is making noise at idle, but only when she turns on the headlights or driving lights (so basically when it is under a load). As soon as you touch the gas pedal to bring it off idle, the noise goes away, but returns again at idle.

Figuring worst case scenario.....an alternator change. I was looking at the car, and obviously you cannot get to it from the top. So, does anyone have a DIY or step-by-step on how to change the alternator or the serp belt on a 2.5L

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:) Let me know if you need the right headlight retainer R&R

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Holding this post position! ;)

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Where do you guys get all the diagrams from? Is there a website that I can look up??

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alternator removal 2007 2.5L gas

Is there anyone here who has actually replaced an alternator on a 2007 2.5L gas? My son's car has a bad alternator. After looking at various Youtube videos, the closest thing that I came up with is a guy who goes in from the bottom, drops the A/C compressor, and once you do that, there seems to be enough room to pull the alternator.Unfortunately his car is like a 2011, and there is probably a difference in access

I just tried that tonight and ran into a problem, the two A/C compressor hoses are wrapped around each other (probably just a screwup at the Mexican factory), making it nearly impossible to drop the compressor low enough to open up sufficient room for the alternator to drop through. If I take off the idler, I have more room, but does not look like enough. My thinking is that I may have to remove also the Aluminum frame on which both the A/C compressor and the idler mount.

Appreciate any ideas out there. Once I get this accomplished I will try to get a good set of pictures to make it easy for those down the line whose alternators will one day fail.

Many thanks in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts