VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

New to this site but hope you can help out.
The Mrs's 05 Cab is displaying a Probable alternator failure, Battery light comes on & off while driving Especially on these dark nights when needing the Headlights, Fan to clear windscreen & such.

Had a look at the weekend and replaced the Free-wheel pulley as was jammed but crunching. its not crunching any more but it still displays the battery light.
On tick over you hear the revs die and return as the the lights dip & go bright.

I have put a battery checker/Alt checker on it and the output drops then goes back up again.

I did notice one slip ring looked quite worn as I was checking the alternator so am guessing its goose'd but just wanted a second opinion.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
battery alternator

Sounds like alternator going bad or battery pulling it down. If your battery is already 4 years old I would replace it asap before it ruins your Alternator's internal Regulator. Good luck and welcome to newbeetle.org:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ya

Cheers for that,
Have replaced the Alternator last night and all good under the Hood now. Battery was replaced about 4 years ago for a random flattening issue.

Been out for a long drive with all electrics on, Lights, Heater, Air con, Heated seats and no sign of the battery light now.

Will keep an eye on it over the winter Just in case.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
careful

Hi Ya

Cheers for that,
Have replaced the Alternator last night and all good under the Hood now. Battery was replaced about 4 years ago for a random flattening issue.

Been out for a long drive with all electrics on, Lights, Heater, Air con, Heated seats and no sign of the battery light now.

Will keep an eye on it over the winter Just in case.

Cheers
Mike
I would replace the Battery too since it's already 4 years old and you don't want it to ruin your new alternator if it shorts out.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
It's a pain and not easy - but I would replace the alternator line to the battery (fuse panel on top) as well. Original factory wire has been upgraded and if it has any corrosion - resistance will be an issue and could be causing what you are seeing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts