VW Beetle Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
rough idle

My wife has a 2000 bug 2.0l automatic ,,,,well just like to say these post are very helpful so I have a Question for someone I am having an issue with my wifes bug when the alt is pluged in it shakes and idles real bad but when I unplug the alt and restar it if it didn't stall it out it will run smooth could this be the clutch thing happening

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not sure if the 2.0l has the alternator with the AOP one way alternator pulley/clutch.

Watch the belt and tensioner for movement and vibration, it should be pretty smooth and not vibrate.

You may also have a bad alternator or bad ground allowing too much AC ripple to get into the electrical system.

You may need to take the vehicle to a parts store to have a free charging system test. Make sure they check for AC ripple as well as charging Voltage.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Regulator

Not sure if the 2.0l has the alternator with the AOP one way alternator pulley/clutch.

Watch the belt and tensioner for movement and vibration, it should be pretty smooth and not vibrate.

You may also have a bad alternator or bad ground allowing too much AC ripple to get into the electrical system.

You may need to take the vehicle to a parts store to have a free charging system test. Make sure they check for AC ripple as well as charging Voltage.
That's what the internal regulator is for it provides a constant DC output and keeps ripple off the circuit. When the
regulator go's bad it can't keep the circuit load up and you get A/c ripple in the circuit, not good for a DC system.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Bad/lose/missing grounds can also cause ripple in a moden vehicle charging system. The Alternator output is supposed to be DC, however, by its basic design it has an AC element that the battery ends up filtering out.

If the connection(s) to the battery are lose and there is too much Voltage drop between the Alternator and the battery, you could have a good Alternator that has excessive ripple output.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts