VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is a quick explanation of my problem I have a new beetle from 1998. I love the car but the alternator I am told is dead (the guy at Autozone hooked up a test tool to diagnose this for me). I have a friend who has donated a alternator from a Golf of the same year with the same motor but the plastic connector for the smaller wires is square. the one on my old alternator is round on one end. Is there some way I can make this part work even if I have to buy adapters or something the alternator is free (the correct price for impoverished college student budget) and it looks like it would fit other then the plug on the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First off thanks for the reply and the info. The guy who has provided me with the alternator took the part out of a car he has scrapped out. I can get the plug from his old harness so my next question is how do I wire the plug to the Beetles harness. Does any one know which wire is which? I don't want to invert the two wires and have the new alternator get damaged or fry some other components.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
I have done the alternator wire issue on my '98; I will have find those pics and post them for you. Just never got around to doing the Alternator DIY.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts