NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The NC Cat
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the DC power outlets (o.k. they cigarette lighters outlets, but really nobody uses them that way anyomore) on my beetle are alyaws on (instead on my wife's Honda they are always on only when the engine is on).

I would like instead to have one always on and one on only when the engine is running. Is anybody aware of an howto to modify the behavior of the outlets ?

·
The NC Cat
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pdoel said:
I don't think there are any how-to's for that. It'd be nice.

I know one of these days I'm going to forget to unplug the Sirius Radio.

My Toyota works the way your Hondas do. When I shut the engine off, the power to the power outlets goes off too.
That is what worries me too. I have the habit of recharging stuff in the car and I am afraid to forget something there and drain the battery.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
neko said:
That is what worries me too. I have the habit of recharging stuff in the car and I am afraid to forget something there and drain the battery.
Two options:

1. Get an Optima yellow top and you can stop worrying. :)

2. Rewire one of the outlets into a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on. For instance, on the relay block, things like the fuel pump relay would only have power with ignition on. Of course, you might not want extra power drawn from such an important relay....

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Yes, I wired up a switched power outlet for my iPod. But I just went to Radio Shack, bought an aftermarket socket, and wired the red up to terminal 75X above the dead pedal (switched 12v +) and grounded the black.

You could certainly do the exact same thing with the existing (installed) sockets, though, if you wanted. You could either find the lead from the sockets, and reroute it to terminal 75X, or run your own positive lead from the terminal to each socket you'd like to be switched.

To find the terminal, just pull off the plastic shield of the lower dash in the driver's foot well (TORX screws front and back). Then above the dead pedal will be a terminal bus, and several large relays. You want the terminal clearly marked "75X" (usually the one further toward the side wall).

Attachments

·
The NC Cat
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Porkchop said:
Two options:

1. Get an Optima yellow top and you can stop worrying. :)

2. Rewire one of the outlets into a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on. For instance, on the relay block, things like the fuel pump relay would only have power with ignition on. Of course, you might not want extra power drawn from such an important relay....
Damn you Porkchop !!! Now that I know about the Optima yellow top I have to buy one !!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Ohh ignorance was so sweet (and cheap) :) :) :) :) :)

Probably I should do both, because see it does not matter even if the Optima would be three times better than the stock batteries they would still discharge and the only thought of it makes me shiver (brrrrrr).

Thanks for the tip.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
neko said:
Damn you Porkchop !!! Now that I know about the Optima yellow top I have to buy one !!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Ohh ignorance was so sweet (and cheap) :) :) :) :) :)

Probably I should do both, because see it does not matter even if the Optima would be three times better than the stock batteries they would still discharge and the only thought of it makes me shiver (brrrrrr).

Thanks for the tip.
Keep in mind the yellow top is a deep cycle battery - so it can be completely discharged and recharged (unlike a regular car battery or a red top Optima).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts