NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my timing belt, thermostat and water pump changed after I discovered my water pump was leaking.

After this- I noticed my car would start up much calmer than before... I wish I knew why... But, I also feel like my engine is much advanced compared to my transmission. In other words... I feel like my transmission is trying to catch up with my engine.

Also, I never used to pay attention to my RPM's.. but I noticed before It used to average at 2... but now, when driving 60 mph, the arrow is at 3, when at 80 mph- it's at 4. What could be causing this? I can also hear from within the engine that it's over working. I have an automatic 1999.

Thanks

·
364 Posts
Could be that the torque converter clutch is not locking up solid when you are cruising (this drops your revs by about 400 at 60mph) - could be caused by many things but I notice your speedo says 206,000 miles which is pretty high mileage.
If the trans has never been overhauled then it may be starting to slip as well due to clutches/bands wearing....this could make the way the car drives a little bit "rubbery".
An overhaul would cost plenty and most people will add a can of "transmission stop slip" which can improve grip inside the transmission.
Good Luck.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I have a manual 2.0 and my rpm readings are similar.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
An auto should be doing much lower RPMs due to the torque converter. If this were a manual, then yes it would be normal.

I would definitely say check out the torque converter. Get VAG-COM on there and see if there are any codes for it.

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, do you also think it could be because my transmission fluid is running low? Should continue to drive me car?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
If its low, then I'd get the fluid drained and filled. But I'd definitely get VAG-COM hooked up to check for codes for the trans. I'd also see if you can tell if its shifting into all gears when its supposed to. If you are in 3rd gear still on the highway, you'll have higher RPMs. And not shifting could be a valve body problem.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Yes, a manual will have similar rpm. OP has an auto though. RPMs should be lower.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
No it doesn't. Manuals tend to get better economy, at least until recently. A manual let's you shift at better RPMs and have more control.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
&#956;&#959;&#955;&#8060;&#957; &#955;&#945;&#946;
213 Posts
The '02 2.0 auto (01M) that I used to have ran 1000rpm/20mph (i.e. [email protected], [email protected]). The xmsn was in fine shape. Converter locked up fine. Nothing wrong there that I can see. I think your RPMs are correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts