NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Still bugging
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my bug has done it again. i drive home from work the other night and everything seemed fine. as i idled there in my driveway my car started beeping and the red temp gage was flashing. i am scared now. has anyine had this happen. also i popped the hood and the coolant level is fine. i dont want to drive it like that someone please tell me what can be wrong

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
If the coolant level is okay, then the most likely explanation is it is overheating.

What kind of mileage? Has timing belt been changed (and with it, the water pump)?

If you have access to a VAG-COM, you can hook it up and drive the car, watching the temp measuring block. It will tell you what the temp actually is when the red light flashes. Then you will know for sure.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
If I had to guess or place bets... ITS THE WATER PUMP ....buy one at ECS tuning (with metal impeller) for 65...!

·
Still bugging
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to add to it

also my fans were not running evethought it was beeping and flashing so dies that help. i do have 92000 miles

·
120,000+ miles
1,423 Posts
boriquais said:
also my fans were not running evethought it was beeping and flashing so dies that help. i do have 92000 miles
OMG, that just happened to me yesterday - no fans and blinking red temp light - it was a loose fuse that lives in the box on top of the battery - course there was that yucky electric smell happening which was a big give-away to where the trouble was - (many Thanks to Chris for finding and fixing this for me, I would have been stuck nowhere near home)

·
Still bugging
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
which one i check my fuses over the battery one of them was like melted but not blown can this be the cause:confused:

·
22 Posts
yeah this actually happend on my 98 2.0 beetle. my "overheat" light would come on whenever i got into stop and go traffic. Turns out the fuse on the battery fried and melted the battery cover(a fuse which is vital for radiator fan control), so i brought it to the dealer and told them it was melted. the dealer replaced the battery cover and fuses and now it works great! :D

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
boriquais said:
which one i check my fuses over the battery one of them was like melted but not blown can this be the cause:confused:
Left hand green fuse is the one that controls the fans. (if you're standing in front of the car looking down at the battery)

·
Still bugging
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm

Porkchop said:
Left hand green fuse is the one that controls the fans. (if you're standing in front of the car looking down at the battery)
ok so i replaced the fuse and cleaned the connections still no fans. now i did notice that when i turn on the a/c thedoesnt overheat because it makes my fans spin. this is very wierd

·
Registered
6 Posts
same problem

My fan works , then does not. I've replaced the water pump, serpentine drive bels, timine belt and thermostat. I'll check those fuses in the morning. I'm running out of things to fix on her.

Prudence

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
If the fans work with the A/C turned on, and do not work otherwise, the thermo switch may be at fault. A all too common problem. The result is overheating because the fans do not come on.
The thermo switch is located in the bottom of the radiator. A quick test is to unplug the wire harness from the switch, and use a wire to bridge the pins. If the fans start to spin, then your switch is most likely bad.

·
Still bugging
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm

anybody have a diagram of this switch thing and how to remove?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Robyn029 said:
That Happend To Me 6 Weeks Ago My Water Pump Failed And Caused My Head Gasket To Blow And It Ended Up Costing Me 1300
Actually, this is not what happened to you. This person's ELECTRIC fan is not working. Your mechanical water pump broke. Two very different things.

If the thermo switch checks out okay, the only thing left is the fan control module - not sure if it would let it work with A/C override or not.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The fan control module gets inputs from the A/C and the thermo switch. If the fans run with the A/C on, the fan control module is OK.
The Thermo switch is located in the bottom of the radiator. With the car cold, just unplug the cable, and then unscrew the thermo switch. Be careful, coolant will drain out while the thermo switch is removed.

·
Still bugging
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

well after going to ecs tuning and buying every single sensor they had for the cooling system, i still havent received my stuff. but i did have the tb and wp replaced to find out that my car still didnt start the fans. so my tech friend at vw said that he knew what the actuall problem. the darn fan control module was bad. he says that its an all too common prob. so i got diablita back on the road. next episode will include making my cel turn off,(if i ever get my shipment from ecs tuning which ups lost)

·
Still bugging
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
did i mention....

wow did i mention that my cars engine sounds nicer now. my wp was still intact after 92k but my timing belt was about to bite the dust(ie it had a big groove down the center, and my tensioner was just about shot too).

·
Still bugging
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
by the way

hannaco said:
The fan control module gets inputs from the A/C and the thermo switch. If the fans run with the A/C on, the fan control module is OK.
The Thermo switch is located in the bottom of the radiator. With the car cold, just unplug the cable, and then unscrew the thermo switch. Be careful, coolant will drain out while the thermo switch is removed.
my fans ran with the a/c but my control module was still shot

1 - 19 of 19 Posts