NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
adittz
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes when i'm looking around here and i see all the girls still in high school (or fresh out of it) with all of these really nice beetles... and i get kind of mad that their parents just up and buy them the expensive car of their dreams... am i wrong for thinking that they can't love their car the same way the adults (with credit and all) who are paying for their cars for the next however many months or years do? i feel like i love my car so much more because i have to go to work every single day of my life just to be able to keep it and continue to love it. i mean i'm obviously not making the $300 monthly payment your mom and dad are, but that's what makes me love mine so much more...

but am i wrong for that?

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
No I think the same about any kid with any new(ish) car. To many spoiled kids that don't know what it's like to have a $2000 car for their first car.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So I had a brand new car for my first car....Guess that makes me a spoiled brat huh? Oh Yeah. I WORKED and SAVED for three years to be able afford a decent down payment then held a job to make the remaining payments. Don't pre-judge.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
So I had a brand new car for my first car....Guess that makes me a spoiled brat huh? Oh Yeah. I WORKED and SAVED for three years to be able afford a decent down payment then held a job to make the remaining payments. Don't pre-judge.
That being the case, it wasn't you being referred to by the original poster. :rolleyes:
Something like "If the shoe don't fit, it ain't yours!"
Don't be so quick to criticize! ;)
And good for you for showing the responsibility to do what you did. :)

M.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
That being the case, it wasn't you being referred to by the original poster. :rolleyes:
Don't be so quick to criticize! ;)
And good for you for showing the responsibility to do what you did. :)

M.
Agree with the OP and agree with MORAV. If you pay for it, then you're more apt to appreciate it, whether it's a car, clothes, whatever. While my parents didn't buy me a car, they did buy me pretty much anything else I wanted. Looking back now, I didn't really appreciate it. I paid off my Beetle with MY money. It was hard and sometimes I barely had enough to make that payment. But I did it and I am so glad that my parents didn't swoop in and "save the day" because they would have taken away the opportunity for me to grow up a little and have something that's really mine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Point well taken.....Sorry, yesterday was just one of those days I guess.......

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
No I think the same about any kid with any new(ish) car. To many spoiled kids that don't know what it's like to have a $2000 car for their first car.
2K for a first car mine was $350.00 and I was glad to have it drove it for 20 yrs b4 selling it, mind you for $350.00. Of course I probably spent 20K on it to keep it running and most of those $$ were on points. LOL

Too many kids nowadays have no respect for anything. Not their fault it's mostly to blame on the parents saying I'm not going to raise my kid's like my parents raised me. Now we have a world of selfish unrespectful people expecting everything to be given to them. There are a few who still have some morals because of their parents but they are far and few between. JMO if you don't like it I don't care......

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I certainly get upset in these situations, but I also was one who got a car my parents bought for me. But my situation is not typical. I was not expecting a car whatsoever. My family couldn't afford it and neither could I. I was given the car as a reward for earning a full ride to college, so I treasured that car like nothing else. I know what my parents sacrificed to get me the car (my mom traded in a car that she loved, for one) and I appreciated it like crazy. I did end up making a number of payments, and from day 1 I paid for gas and maintenance on the car. I had the car for 6 1/2 years until my accident almost 2 weeks ago. Now, I'm having to buy a car for the first time, and I appreciate it even more.

I know I'm guilty of judging and being angry, but for someone to have a Beetle that a parent gave them, I'm not so upset about. A lot of times its a used car (mine was 6 years old at the time and a base model so nothing fancy). Now, if we're talking a BMW or Mercedes, etc., then I have an issue with that. But not really a NB.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was at work one night and after closing the store one of our checkout operators (16 years old) asked me if I could help her get in her car. It seems she had some problems with the alarm system and it wouldn't let her in. Of course I said yes and went out to see what I could do. Her car was a 2010 BMW new at the time. I don't know BMW's that well but this was a small very sporty model. I told her that I wasn't going to touch that car because it cost more than I made in a year. She told me that she had called her mom (The lawyer) and her dad (The doctor) and they said that she would have to be more self reliant and just call AAA to come get her in. What a load of crap, that's how you teach a kid to be self reliant? You buy them a 60,000 car and then make them call AAA when they need help. Anyway I set with her until AAA arrived and it was something to do with her keys they fixed it (after making a couple calls) and got her into the car in like 5 min. So yeah I can see your point.

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
My first job was a paper route, hard to find those anymore, all vehicle delivery. I worked through high school, got good grades, but missed out on high school activities ie. band, sports. I made a deal with both my kids. If they participated in extra curricular activities, there grades would be their paycheck. Basically an A and B were worth so much , a C was zero and a D took already earned money away. When they had built up enough earned money, I bought them their car. My son had no preference and ended up with a 1991 Mercury Capri, a very low mile gem that I happened upon cheap. Total luck. Sarah has wanted a Beetle since Jake gave her a toy one for Christmas when she was like 6. She got a 98 Beetle with 150000 miles on it. IMO most cars under $2000 are total garbage. Things are not made like they were 20 or 30 years ago, as you all know from maintaining all the electronic and plasic on you cars.
I guess what I am saying is dont put everyone in one category. Everyone here loves their Beetles, but all New Beetles are not "new" beetles and none are $60000 BMW's. BTW,,,I cant believe any parent would leave their teenage daughter stranded and say call AAA. Goes to show you just because you were smart enough to get a law or medical degree doesn't make you smart enough to be a parent.

·
Registered
406 Posts
this should get you Upset: my brother has a friend that his dad just bought him an Audi S4 (still living at home), 21 years old and the dude will hang out and say "J.P. don't you think you Should get a new car the bug and your Yukon are getting old", and i have my own pad my own bill's and this yo-yo is talking...SMH LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts