NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year or so ago, I installed something called the Scan Gauge II in the OBD II port of my '03 Turbo S. Sometime after the install, the AM portion of the Monsoon receiver started suddendly cutting out, then, after a while, going completely out for a day or so. This went on for a bout 3 wks. or a month. So, I de-installed the Scan Gauge and the AM was okay for a while, but then the more distant Seattle AM stations, that used to come in loud and clear, gradually started becoming weaker and weaker with more static interference so that I can hardly hear them now. The FM part has always worked fine, and still does, even when the scan gauge was installed. I installed the Scan Gauge in my '03 Ford Ranger P/U where it has not caused any AM or FM interference whatsoever with that Ford factory deck and receiver. Anyone ever heard of this happening before? Will I now have to get a new after-market deck/receiver installed or do you think the AM portion of this VW Monsoon deck can be repaired?

·
1,255 Posts
I doubt if Scangauge II has anything to do with the AM radio failing. Probably just a coincidence. VW's AM reception is fair at best. I have been using Scangauge II for over a year now, no issues anywhere.

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I grant you that it may very well be a coincidence, but after I removed the scan gauge, I had no further sudden "popping" sound with the AM then going completely out. It started working normally, until begining a few mos. back when it's gradually grown weaker and weaker with more "staticky white noise" over-riding the broadcasting. All I know is that at present the AM has become almost unusable but the FM remains fine. So, I don't know, but it's very frustrating.

·
1,255 Posts
With the radio tuned to a weak or no AM station, just noise, and then the Scangauge is plugged in the popping and white noise starts immediately. I'll check mine for that condition which I have never paid attention too.

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
The radio receives AM? My daughter's bug gets iPod or FM. I am sure she has no idea what AM radio even is.:rolleyes:

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the radio tuned to a weak or no AM station, just noise, and then the Scangauge is plugged in the popping and white noise starts immediately. I'll check mine for that condition which I have never paid attention too.
Let me know what happens. Also, mine were always tuned to strong A.M. stations outta Seattle, one of which (KIRO 710 AM) I could pick up clearly in No. Calif. when I was down there.

·
1,255 Posts
Rush is on 1230 AM here and listen daily. Rush on live feed video is good too.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Ed Schultz, Tom Hartman, and local Seattle Sports talk shows on KIRO AM 710 and KJR AM 950. GO SEAHAWKS! :D
Used to listen to the Mariners on my 1.5 hour commute from Edmonds to Marysville everyday. Was so glad when I moved to Woodinville. I loved Dave N, "Fly, fly, away!"

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts