NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok, BTW I am not sure what a purge valve. Seriously, this is the first time I have heard that term as it relates to a 1.8T. I'm still kinda a noob so if anyone could let me know that would be great.

JB

·
Registered
119 Posts
The purge valve draws gas vapors from the charcoal canister and injects them into the intake manifold for combustion:) It is part of the EVAP system.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Codes found

:king2:

And what codes might they be?:banghead:
In addition to the ones below I also had a P0300, P0301, and P0302
multiple cylinder misfire. These codes showed up after the first time I did a temporary fix which worked for 2 days (then failed). I'm to get a new valve in the mail next week.

The log below was edited to reflect the codes directly related to the valve. There was another for the N249 which I've had for quite some time (and need to fix).

Sunday,25,September,2011,13:57:22:42481
VCDS Version: Release 10.6.4
Data version: 20110418

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: 1Y - VW
Scan: 01 02 03 17 19 46

VIN: Mileage: 139010km/86376miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 06A-906-032-AWV.lbl
Part No: 06A 906 032 PS
Component: 1.8l 5VT NBC AG6G 5107
Coding: 00004
Shop #: WSC 22575
VCID: 7EEEEB865067
3VWCD21Y14M305475 VWZ5Z0C6087411

Faults Found:
18711 - Leak in Air Intake System
P2279 - 35-00 - -
17559 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air; Bank 1; Range 1: System too Lean
P1151 - 35-00 - -
17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0000 1001

NOTE: After the temp fix and clearing the codes I didn't get a MIL until the fix failed again. I also believe I had one other related to fuel trims but can't remember if it was a repeat. Thought I had saved all of my logs but didn't.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The "purge valve" is the N80 purge valve for the EVAP system, which can cause EVAP leak DTCs, misfires and fuel trim system to lean codes. Here are some examples:

EuropaParts.com: Search results for: 'purge valve'

The "suction pump" mainly causes oil leaks when it fails.

However, looking at the actual fault codes, I see a different issue (or confusion on what parts are called).

17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)

I've seen the Diverter Valve on these engines fail often and it will cause this.

EuropaParts.com: Diverter Valve (1.8T & 2.7T, Updated "N" Version) - 06A145710N

To test this item, see if it holds vacuum when applied to it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The "suction pump" seems to be a mostly superfluous device that was invented to prevent a set of circumstances that only its own failure produces... :D

If your suction pump has gotten clogged, pressure can build up in the crankcase of your motor. This issue could result in oil leaks and in fact, this suction pump is a common cause of oil leaks, so if you are noticing issues with your pump, be sure to replace it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
For most engines, the suction pump can be purchased as a separate item. But a few engines, it comes with some hard plastic hoses already attached to it and the price gets jacked up.

Also, some suction pumps are easy to get to, nothing in the way, others are located under the intake and you have to remove some items.

So 2 different cars can get 2 different prices on replacement.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Am I the only one super confused?

A purge valve is the n80 and is part of the EVAP system... EuropaParts.com: Purge Valve (N80) - 058133517B

the suction pump is completely different, or at least I thought..

Just wanted to clarify so someone doesn't buy the wrong part.

I also didn't realize how old this thread is haha oops.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
@Oh if you look mid-thread you will see a picture, location, and description of the part replaced. VW seems to have a variety of different check valves related to the EVAP. The one you linked to are also known to fail.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Oh, I get that there are 2 different parts, the OP just said purge valve... which is the n80.. not the suction pump that was pictured. Just trying to clarify.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts