NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been reading some books recently and got confused with some of the words used as they're American authors, and I was hoping you guys could translate some stuff for me :D

Biscuits.... they have these with chicken and gravy????? Over here, biscuits are what you guys call cookies.... so the idea of having them with chicken and gravy is very strange, so I guess they're not the same?

Grits? Sounds like sand??? But they eat it for breakfast, so probably not sand lol.

Chucks? An item of clothing I think?

There are loads more, I just can't remember them at the moment.

Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
14,052 Posts

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
What you think of as biscuits, we see as 'crackers'. Grits are just ground corn, a product derived from someone's determination not to let any product go to waste! When you cut the kernels of corn from a cob, inevitably there is a small amount of corn left trapped inside the cob. The cobs are dried, the 'grits' of corn and shaken out and ground into grits for cooking, and the cobs go off to be used in a number of clever ways.

Chucks can be any number of things, keeping in mind all the regional dialects in the US. Here in the South, when you 'chuck' something, it means to throw it. Chuck is also a common nickname for Charles.

And the speakers in my coupe' are in the boot, and the petrol engine is under the bonnet. I'm bilingual in the same language!!!

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
I like relaxing on my chesterfield, sometimes when colouring. Eating flavourful foods is among my favourite things to do.

·
blue highways
737 Posts
common 'chucks' include:
- 'Chuck [Charles] Taylors'- the canvas sneakers made by Converse from 1917 and named for the period basketball star who promoted them

-the toothed/splined socket or 'chuck' on a hand or electric drill

-the woodchuck or chuck, an American marmot, Marmota monax/groundhog/whistlepig

wings=fenders, spanners=monkey wrenches..the automotive and tool confusion is endless:)

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys - you've helped a lot! :D

It's crazy that we speak the same language yet there's so many different meanings to the same words. Confusing at times!

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The term that makes me scratch my head is "pudding" in the Harry Potter books it's used constantly to describe any number of sweet confections none of which seem to be pudding.

Pudding is what you have after your main meal - maybe you call it desert?

The pic looks like chocolate Angel Delight?

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Scones are slightly dryer and contain sugar.

Biscuits are a southern thing that has become popular around the states. They are principly butter/lard, water and flour. They go great with fried chicken and usually you cut them in half, add butter and honey. :)

Jam has lumps (you can see the fruit)
Jelly doesn't.

·
jgarry 2001 new beetle
47 Posts
Chuck

You should include context with the word. Chuck can also refer to a cheap cut of steak. In the old west, cooks would have chuck wagons. The original wheelie truck was the Little Red Wagon (a dodge pickup van variant) which I'm sure must have been the idea for these:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts