NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have aftermarket amplifiers, where did you connect the power cable on the battery? It's quite a mess on top of that thing!

Also how did you mount the amps in the rear? I see alot of them mounted to the back seats but are they just screwed directly into the seats?

Oh and i'm running 4ga power wire.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Directly on the positive connection...but my wire is smaller than yours...I'm guessing.
Have you found the grommit to get the power wire into your car yet? It's in the firewall - here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish my battery looked that clean!

It's kind of daunting when it looks like this:

I guess I can just do like you did but on the other bolt/nut. Gotta find a big enough crimp connector for 4 gauge now :(

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Uhmm, where's the battery cover that the fuse box is supposed to be snapped into? The fuse box is supposed to be attached to a lid (which is what marvins_dad is holding up in the first picture for a shot of the battery connection.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
cletus323 said:
I wish my battery looked that clean!
Heh! - I just installed the battery last night - that's why I had a pic at hand to post.

Looks like your cover covers the entire battery and fuse box...ours don't, well my 2002 doesn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...and knowing is half the battle!

Thanks for the pictures marvins_dad!

Where did you mount your amps at? I'm just not sure about screwing them into the seat backs.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I mounted mine to the seatbacks (well everyhting is mounted ot hte seatback, there really isnt one anymore), but if yu go that route, i reccomend self-tappng screws, and sorta short ones, and an electric screwdriver, it'll make it alot less painful gettin it thru the metal seatback (unless they changed that too). But the only downside i have is that i cant fold my seat don and load a buncha stuff n my car. Dont wanna damage anything.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
I did something that was a little controversial...someone called me on it, but I haven't had any problems. I bolted mine to my sub box and can easily move them out of the way if I need to lay the seat down for large items...or remove entirely if I need to.

http://www.dehon.org/antoine/Marvin-Sub_install.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool I didn't know the seatback was metal! I'll have to look for self-tapping screws when I'm trying to find the battery cable crimp connector. Btw, I Like your icon Toad, reminds me of my old hamster.

Yeah I remember that it's bad for the amp to mount it directly to the box, i've done it in the past though. As long as it keeps working right?

·
Unlimited Reality Designs
463 Posts
those holes in the picture are being used by something else right now. is there another place i can run my 4g wire?

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
If you remove the center and driver's side dash panels, you can run your power wires into the engine compartment thru the fresh air opening at the lower corner of the windshield. No muss, no fuss.

Good luck with your projects!!!:D

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
cletus323 said:
For those of you who have aftermarket amplifiers, where did you connect the power cable on the battery? It's quite a mess on top of that thing!

Also how did you mount the amps in the rear? I see alot of them mounted to the back seats but are they just screwed directly into the seats?

Oh and i'm running 4ga power wire.

Thanks!!
I am running a 2ga to the pos post of the battery for now. I am waiting to get something together and move the fuse panel off the top of the battery so my lid will finally close .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.... Instead of just caulking the hole around the wire, it would be better to insert a rubber grommet similar to the one you went through behind the battery. This way not only you'll get a better seal, but it would also protect the wire from being cut by the metal edges of the hole.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts