NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acording to Amsoil this oil meets the VW specks. Is anyone running it. If so have the dealer given you an trouble over using it. I think it was 501.1, 502 and 505.

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
Don't do it. I know it's tempting to try a more available oil but VW is pretty damn specific about the oil for the PD engins. The oil needs to meet VW 505.01. Anything else and you are risking premature valve train wear. See The Cheats sticky post on the 1.9 thread for a list of 505.01 oils. In the US it's a short list.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Hey Matt! Here's a list of all the oils available in the US safe for your TDI:

Castrol TXT 505.01 (dealers use this)
Elf Excellium 505.01
Motul Specific 8100 505.01
Pentosynth TS 505.01

If it doesn't have 505.01 in the oil title or clearly stated on the bottle, it isn't rated for your car.

I get my oil from www.tdiparts.com, and I usually just get the 10k kits for like $40 and use the drain plug for my sister's 1999 TDI (which CAN run the Amsoil oil). You'll want to use the drain plug unless you're putting in an oil temperature sender in its place (which I have).

The Amsoil oil is awesome btw (I use it in the 99 and skunkjunky uses it in his 99 too), just not rated (yet) for us.

Castrol is available from any dealer.
Motul is available through www.worldimpex.com
Elf and Pentosynth are available from www.tdiparts.com

Right now I have Castrol 505.01 in with a Mann filter from tdiparts.com. I reccomend either the Elf or the Castrol as I've had good luck with those two.

Stick around, and any questions, feel free to ask. :O)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is what Amsoil supports. Does the generic 5005 speck cover the new TDI.:confused:

APPLICATION
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 European Motor Oil is recommended for applications specifying the following:

API SL, CI-4, CF
ACEA A3/B3
BMW LL-01/98
Daimler Chrysler 229.3, 229.1
Opel Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
Opel Diesel Service ill GM-LL-B-025
Porsche
Volvo
Saab
Volkswagen 501.01, 502.00, 505.00

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
505.00 supports the pre-04 TDI (any non-PD). 505.01 is an amended formula specifically designed to lubricate the extra lobes on the cams as the unit injectors are the fuel pumps as well and prevent wear.

Pumpe-Duese=pump nozzle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm new to VW and my dealer pissed me off by punching the sale of my car to VW corp 34 days before I took delivery of the *%&$^% thing. To boot for bothering me with calls and dashing my hops for 3 weeks they only knocked off the dealer processing fee. I think VW is just trying to keep us coming back for service with new amended Specifications but I'll keep reading to become more educated. I have a PDS and I know it 1980s stuff but I can't see how the AMSOIL can't meet the speck since they over design everything. Does anyone have a link to the 5005.01 speck? Since I'm and AMSOIL dealer I'm going to pressure them for certification and testing of the Euro 5w40 oil to the new speck since it 3 years old now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW what is a 10K kit and do you have to replace your DP with every oil change or does it use a crush washer like the hounda's do.

Another note I saw about an oil temp sensor. I'm assuming that you know with Synthetic Oil temp is not a problem. The problems occur in conventional oils when the naturaly occuring parfin gets sticky was more heat is applied. I can't see how these little motors will get to hot unless you adding more than stock fule to them.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I'm overfueling. :O)

VW reccomends replacing the drainplug every time because the washer doesn't seperate from the plug. The 10K oil change kit is available from worldimpex.com. TDIparts.com also does a package bundle like this as well.

I fully expect AMSoil's AFL to be compatible in the next year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone run ED intervals with oil analiss. I'm betting $ that if VW states you can got 10 you can probably go more like 30 K if you change the filter. Any sugestions on service manuals since I'm not going to let the stealership touch my new toy unless it warranty related.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
there's no service manual for the 2006 yet available to us.

People have been running EDIs for up to 20k with UOAs, but not something I would do unless I was out of warranty. Those 10k oil changes are gonna come in handy if you cough a cam at 58k.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice. I'll press Amsoil in the AM if I have time. I have an 8:30 AM meeting and a 3YOu to wake and get ready for school.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Amsoil will say it "meets" it most likely, but it's not approved by VW. They're (VW) cracking down on the oils used, esp. on the PD diesels. I wouldn't chance it either way. I'm sure it's a good oil (hell, it does wonders in the 99), but until it gets the VW stamp of approval (ie: shows up on the bottle and the oil list), I gotta stick with those 4 I listed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bugmonkey said:
Don't do it. I know it's tempting to try a more available oil but VW is pretty damn specific about the oil for the PD engins. The oil needs to meet VW 505.01. Anything else and you are risking premature valve train wear. See The Cheats sticky post on the 1.9 thread for a list of 505.01 oils. In the US it's a short list.

I use amsoil 15W40 and i have 157,000 miles on my car. I have owned it since it had 52,000 miles. I have had NO trouble what so ever.

is this something for the new bugs? Mine is a 99

·
Registered
13 Posts
MAd_Matt said:
I think VW is just trying to keep us coming back for service with new amended Specifications but I'll keep reading to become more educated. I have a PDS and I know it 1980s stuff but I can't see how the AMSOIL can't meet the speck since they over design everything. Does anyone have a link to the 5005.01 speck? Since I'm and AMSOIL dealer I'm going to pressure them for certification and testing of the Euro 5w40 oil to the new speck since it 3 years old now.
BINGO!!! They want you to come running back to get the oil THEY say you can use!!!!

I am also an Amsoil dealer!

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
newbeetleman said:
I use amsoil 15W40 and i have 157,000 miles on my car. I have owned it since it had 52,000 miles. I have had NO trouble what so ever.

is this something for the new bugs? Mine is a 99
Killing 2 birds with on stone:...your NB is a 99...doesn't have the 505.01 spec that comes along with the PD motor. You have the regular old TDI, therefore any oil that will met 505.00 is OK. Amsoil's AFL meets this, therefore you're ok to run it...and that's why you haven't had problems with it in the 105K it's been in the car. I run it in my 99 myself, and I love it. However, it won't go near my 2005 until is says "approved for 505.01" on the label.

newbeetleman said:
BINGO!!! They want you to come running back to get the oil THEY say you can use!!!!

I am also an Amsoil dealer!

Well, yeah...VW puts $Millions into their technology, and if they say this oil HAS to be run, then I'm gonna take their word. However, not running it could lead to problems that would be denied warranty coverage (anything engine can/would be denied if they found you were running the wrong oil). And you're not limited to going to VW to get the oil...so technically you're not "running back to VW" as you put it. Many online places have it, and as long as you provide proof of proper oil purchased (I go one further and save a 4oz jar of the old oil that I drain just as proof and take a picture of the odometer)...you'll have no problems.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Meets it, but isn't approved by VW yet.

VW independently certifies each oil, and AMSoil hasn't ponied up the $$ AFAIK to get it VW-certified. I say use at your own risk. There's a couple threads over at www.tdiclub.com about this already.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you want to run AMSOIL on a PD-TDI - you're your own warrantee. I would fully expect VWOA to DENY any claims for non-approved oils.

For the older VE-TDIs - fine, as long as it is approved for VW505.00 and/or the other specs.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
There is a new oil that can be added to the short list. The Quaker State Euro diesel 5w-40 oil now has VW approval. It can be ordered from most Quaker State oil jobbers.
In a conversation with a Pennzoil rep, they will be bringing out their version of a 505.01.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Amsoil

Well I'm glad to see VW thinks there are above the law but if you use an oil that meets there speck and has been independantly tested to meet there speck it on them to prove the oil did not do it job. As for Amsoil they will stand behind there products and work with you to make VW honor that warranty. I had an issue wiht a pinion bering on my F350 not being torqued properly by the dealer. about 12K later the rear end pooped the bed. Amsoil took my failed parts, inspected them and identified the cause of the failure because of wear scaring to be over trouque. After than no more Ford Service. I do it alla nd I plan on the same for the VW since there service and warranty policies suck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts