VW Beetle Forum banner

Annoying Buzzer/Chime/Beep!

43K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  zambranoscott3 
#1 ·
Hello all, my daughters 2000 bug is having gremlin issues. At random times while driving , some sort of warning beep sounds and won't stop. A bump in the road can cause it to start or stop at times. When the lights are turned to on position while it's beeping/chiming is sounding, it will change to a constant beep. When parked, with door open , moving of door back and forth causes stopping and starting of beeping sound. After all the money we've put into this car since we got it in April, we need a simple and cheap fix. anyone have any expertise or advice on the problem or fix? We'd sure appreciate it. no one wants to drive it because it's so annoying! Thanks!

#3 ·
Tired...

I appreciate all the help and info very much but After reading as much as I could stand on changing the $3 part, I'm exhausted and haven't even started working on it yet! Someone mentioned on one of the links here that they just cut the wire so no more dinging! I didn't find the info on where the wire was. Can someone send me in the right direction? If my husband has to do one more tedious fix on this car, he's gonna lose it! He's already threatening to sell it! Oh and the alarm goes off at night now while we're asleep. No one touches it. What wire is that alarm because that one needs to go too! Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
To disable it for now, remove fuse #14 from the upper section with small fuses. Until you can fix it properly. The alarm is likely going off due to your faulty door switch, and the car thinking the door is being opened with the alarm armed.

Note: This will cause a loss of overhead interior lighting, and door ajar indications. (Or basically the same thing if you cut the wire.)

#5 ·
Didn't work

We removed that fuse and it did make interior light go out but the power windows also would not work so we had to put fuse back in. So now what? This was #14 in inside fuse compartment. Please help. My daughter will wreck smacking door to make it stop digging. She had to do this 20 times or so during the duration of her traveling. There has to be a simple way. Which fuse is it? That won't effect anything else?

#6 ·
I check back here everyday hoping someone will have the answer to this problem. Tearing down the door and replacing that sensor and soldering some tiny piece and putting the door back together properly won't be happening with our bug anytime soon. There has to be a fuse or wire to undo that will stop this and not affect anything else. Please help if you know. Plus I was reading the security alarm uses the same horn so disconnecting the "second" horn wint work to stop the alarm sound. Someone here said there were two. Really need some quick fixes with these. thanks to all who take the time and have tried to help.

#7 ·
STILL Beeping/Dinging!!!

Hi all. I'm still going crazy listening to this incessant noise!! Pulling fuse didn't work, unhooking and replacing battery cable didn't work. I don't have anyone to take apart the door , fix sensor, put door back together and can't afford to pay VW dealer to do it. How much does it cost most places? Just having a spate key cut was over two hundred dollars!! There got to be a simpler way to make it stop without cause ing other problems. The dining starts and is a constant : ding, pause, ding, pause, etc. then while its dinging, if you turn on the headlights, the ding becomes a constant ddiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggg without a pause until you turn lights off and then it's back to ding, pause, ding etc. when I hit a bump or smack tge door, it usually stops. A bump can also make it start dinging, PLEASE someone, help!!!!!

#8 ·
Most cars, not sure about the Beetle, have a chime module somewhere under the dash.

Just open the lower dash hush panel, 3 or 4 screws, and try to locate and unplug the chime module?

Hopefully the chime is not integrated in to the instrument cluster as this would probably not be something that can be unplugged easily?

#9 ·
Just drove my Beetle and it sounds like the chime may be integrated into the instrument cluster??

So may not be a simple module to unplug?

Might as well just get the door latch replaced, do not feel bad my 2003 convertible is on the 3rd set of door latches for each door, I can do these in my sleep in under 45 minutes now!

#11 ·
Cars are the biggest piece of s*** I've ever owned in my life. Every other day it's something else going wrong with them. There's nothing to the car they're junk little tinker Toys. And Volkswagen still couldn't get the s*** right never again!! I'm going through the same s*** after I just fix some other s*** f** garbage