NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're almost not even problems, but ooh how annoying.

My driver seat belt, it retracts extremely slow, almost not at all sometimes. Can this be tightened?

SQUEAK! Something in the rear seat area squeaks in the most annoying way when driving over a rough road. I can't simulate it when sitting, I push I pull I bounce, no squeak, but drive down a gravel road and it's a mickey mouse convention from my back seat area. Anyone have this occur and have an idea what this noise is, where it's coming from?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
My driver seat belt, it retracts extremely slow, almost not at all sometimes. Can this be tightened?
If you find a resolve I'd like to know, my was that way when I bought it with 40k on the clock. Hasn't gotten worse, but damn sure hasn't gotten better. I know someone is going toend up closing the door on the buckle and effing something up.

M.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
SQUEAK! Something in the rear seat area squeaks in the most annoying way when driving over a rough road. I can't simulate it when sitting, I push I pull I bounce, no squeak, but drive down a gravel road and it's a mickey mouse convention from my back seat area. Anyone have this occur and have an idea what this noise is, where it's coming from?
More than likely, it will be your trunk ;)

The plastic pieces that go around the inside of the rear window up near the top. Sometimes they get loose and squeek in the most annoying fashion. Buy some rubber strips from somewhere and squuze them under them :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More than likely, it will be your trunk ;)

The plastic pieces that go around the inside of the rear window up near the top. Sometimes they get loose and squeek in the most annoying fashion. Buy some rubber strips from somewhere and squuze them under them :)
It seems this one is the seat back. My wife was driving tonight and it gave me the chance to reach back there and play with things. When I pulled the seat back down it stopped squeaking, with it upright, squeak.

I think the latches at the top are no longer as tight as they were when new so they have a bit of play which causes the squeak. I'm going to try an old Canadian classic fix and put a bit of duct tape on the metal loop the latch catches and see if that makes it tight enough to stop the squeak.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
My car does that squeaking too. Drives me batty. I think it's the driver seat though. :mad:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I had a squeaky passenger seat. So annoying.

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
It seems this one is the seat back. My wife was driving tonight and it gave me the chance to reach back there and play with things. When I pulled the seat back down it stopped squeaking, with it upright, squeak.

I think the latches at the top are no longer as tight as they were when new so they have a bit of play which causes the squeak. I'm going to try an old Canadian classic fix and put a bit of duct tape on the metal loop the latch catches and see if that makes it tight enough to stop the squeak.
I got that too. It's great that you isolated it. Let us know how the fix works.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Old topic, just wondering if anybody has found a fix for the squeak in the back seat ? It only squeaks when the back seat is up. I have tried taping the metal hooks, but that didn't change the squeak.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Old topic, just wondering if anybody has found a fix for the squeak in the back seat ? It only squeaks when the back seat is up. I have tried taping the metal hooks, but that didn't change the squeak.
I figured out that it wasn't the seats or the seat posts. It's the side panels.

When I installed my wet okole seat covers the extra thickness of the covers pushed the side panels tight and got rid of the squeek. The squeak likely goes away when the seats are down because the side panels are loose enough that their movement doesn't rub against anything.

Since this is all held together with plastic clips its very likely the cause is/was the clips weakening with time and allowing movement and creating the squeak.

I did replace those clips before getting the seat covers and it did help some, but still needed more to get rid of the squeak entirely. I'm thinking that a bit of that tape with the soft side in the right place would get rid of the squeak entirely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts