NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have been around german cars a bit now, couple of stage III s4's and a handful of other vdubs(gti's, jetta's). Currently we are trying to sell our Beetle but it is having some issues.

so far I have replaced all the plugs, replaced coils packs 2 and 3, cleaned the throttle body (then adapted it) and replaced all of the vacuum lines.

what it is doing
with a cold start in the morning it runs really rough, almost to the point that the gas pedal has no power, then when you start to drive the car it jerks. when that stops after warming up at idle it sounds like it knocking.

the boost gauge reads 10(Should be around 20) for vacuum at idle and when it gets into boost makes a detonation noise. It use to stall, hasn't for a little bit, but would do it on hills coming to a stop.

I have been digging around under the hood trying to figure out what the deal is, today I pulled out the evp purge valve and just stuck the to hoses together and it runs better but still not great.

The one thing that is weird is all the problems got worse after I put in the new plugs and cleaned up. The mpg is terrible something like 15mpg. Anything you all can do to help would be great,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to have it scanned for codes to really help.

Guesses?
1) Vacuum leak
2) MAF
3) Ignition coil harness cracked
scanned, nothing, but on a brighter note, I ran a compression test, 170-80-80-170. motor is toast, anyone wanna buy a project car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn.

don;t sell it, build it! stroke and bore it and go big turbo!
Ha, it was my wifes car and she is in the market for an LR3 and I happen to drive a stg III s4 (stinking german love hate relationship), so I am going to toss it on the boards for 3,5oo and see what happens.

·
no longer use this site
1,594 Posts
ouch, you sure you wanna go with a rover? man those things can be worse than vw's when it comes to maint/repairs.

but sounds like you got the $$ to handle it. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
mOOnrover
116 Posts
I once did a tune-up on a friends car and he helped. After we finished it had a bad miss. He had to take it to a mechanic who found that a spark plug was cracked. My friend later remembered that he had dropped it. Lesson learned, don't drop a plug on the driveway without inspecting it afterward. Just a thought...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts