VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Insert clever epithet
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Thursday I was headed from Phoenix to Denver. I hit heavy rain on I-40 in New Mexico, then suddenly there was white everywhere (too soft to be hail, too round to be normal snow...you'd think I'd know what that's called, I'm from the Midwest) and I lost control and rolled it pretty spectacularly.

It hit the ditch upside-down (still not sure how *that* happened), bounced, and landed right-side up so far away that the cop thinks it must've spun one and a half times in the air. All I know is it landed perpendicular to the road 20 feet off the pavement and the only marks in the mud around it were from me (and the cop, several first responders, and a few fire fighters...New Mexico really goes all out!) walking around it.

I'm fine. I'm still a little sore, plus a couple of mild abrasions, but otherwise totally fine. Even with the roof smashed in, I didn't hit my head. To anyone who finds this post from a search on whether Beetles are safe: Yes, they're very safe cars. I walked away from this accident (and without assistance, because the doors still worked).

What you can't really see in the picture: the back window shattered, but the passenger side looks untouched.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
:eek: Yikes! Sad to see your NB sleeping with the fishies, but the important part is that you're A-OKAY! It's amazing how tough these little cars are. Hope you're able to get into another NB or B12 down the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree - it's a shame about your squished bug, but it's great that you're ok.

Your experience confirms my belief that our little cars are super safe. My "cracking" theory is: eggs. Beetles are sort of egg-shaped, and eggs are surprisingly strong little suckers. :crazy:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I got in an accident in my Bug and I will definitely say they are safe cars! I had some bruising, abrasions, and a sprained hand from my airbag but that's it. My car looked bad after, but I walked away and that's all that matters, just like in your case! Cars can be replaced, not people.

Keep us posted on your next ride, Beetle or not. I didn't get another...it was too sentimental for me to get another at the time (she was my first car and I had her for 6 1/2 years at the time I got in my accident) but I did stay in the VW family with my GTI :)

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
I agree with the others. Your Beetle sacrificed itself for you. :(

I hope you get another one, now that you know how safe they are to drive. I know of dozens of Beetle friends that had accidents (all kinds!), and all have come to say what happened. What I mean is, they may have been bumped up, but they are here, to tell the story.

I don't feel invincible, but I feel confident that if the unthinkable happened, my Beetle would keep me safe. *crossesfingers*

Sorry to hear about your accident. :(

·
Insert clever epithet
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the <3, all. Eggs? Nice! :D

My airbags didn't go off--which is good, because I'd probably be hurt worse if they had--and we're not entirely sure if they were supposed to. It wasn't really a front impact or a side impact, plus you hear rumors about some cars don't blow the airbags if you're going too fast because they do more harm than good, though I wasn't going that fast because of the rain.

I do want another NB, it's the perfect car for me! Who else makes a 2-door hatchback with a manual transmission in this day and age (that is reliable and not too big or too $$$)? Plus it's a great car to put a stereo in. My original plan was to run this one into the ground and pick up a 2012+ in a couple of years since they'd be cheaper by then. That said, I did a quick search and none came up in my area or my hometown (I'm in the middle of a move...this was really awful timing!), not even the 06+ NBs. Some 2012+ did, but that's way out of my price range right now. Maybe a Golf/Rabbit, if I can find a 2-door...or a MkI Audi TT :eek: since they're really just smooshed in Beetles...

I hope I got all the New Mexico bad-Beetle-juju out of the way for everyone going to Roswell next month! :marvin: Nobody deserves this.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
So, your car was a 2.0l? If you get another one; I would highly recommend, getting new one with ESP (electronic stability control). I was driving through Los Angeles @ around 3 AM; one time and almost t boned a car, in front of me that ran out of control and came to a stand still, in the direct path of me. If it wasn't for my ESP controlled New Beetle; I would have definitely, been in a accident or worse (probably, saved my life). ESP helps; you maintain control and after that experience, I am a TRUE believer in its capabilities. For emergency maneuvers and slippery, skidding, type road conditions... it makes a BIG difference! Check out these videos and more info: (in particular; look at the videos of the ESP system; how, it works in the snow/slippery roading conditions)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=volkswagen esp

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=volkswagen+esp&tbm=vid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts