VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just bought a 2001 Beetle GLX automatic for my daughter to take to college in three weeks. We just finished replacing the valve cover gasket, a coil connector, multiple vacuum valves and hoses, replaced the SAI pump and hoses, replaced the plugs and coils and a few other related things. After a week or so of work the car is running great and there are no engine codes.

Now its time to work on the A/C. The A/C doesn't work at all. The compressor is not turning on. There are no clicks, no power drains or engine lags when it turns on. I checked that the fans are working and I tried to charge the system with more refrigerant. When I connected the A/C pressure gauge to the low pressure port it read 0 pressure. When I opened the valve in the refrigerant bottle nothing happened. None went into the system, as far as I could tell and the pressure remained at 0. The compressor never did kick on.

So, I'm gonna try and diagnose the system per the last post in this thread: http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/43167-how-check-c-compressor.html

Incidentally, I checked the three fuses in the block on top of the battery. They are all fine. The 30 amp fuse is clean and the blades look like new. No corrosion that I can see.

Is there anything else I should do or check? Oh, yeah, if anyone can point me to the compressor, I'd appreciate it! After looking at the top of the engine for the last 7 days, I still can't seem to identify the compressor. LOL

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
A/c

Maybe it doesn't have a compressor..LOL :D If you get no response at all try jumping 12v directly to the compressor plug. The compressor is mounted directly under the alternator.
It could be the selector knob on the dash. The compressor will not suck in Freon if it's clutch is not engage/spinning.
Is the blower fan working? There are multiple reasons why the compressor is not coming on...Low pressure, high pressure, bad thermal switch, bad resistor pack on the blower knob, bad Fan control module.

·
:)
837 Posts
Sounds like the clutch on the compressor. I would suggest what esse recommended. Have you metered it out to see if it has any power? When filling, the clutch will engage when the engine is around 1.5k-2k RPM. Have someone on the gas. If it won't budge, you will have to replace.

Refurb compressors are around $200 and very easy to replace - took me about an hour. You can replace the serpentine belt while you're having a go at this! :)

This should help you locate it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4MeU26ERX8

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the head start, guys. I'll start by figuring out how to jump the compressor. See if I can get the clutch to engage.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
compressor

Depends what type of compressor clutch he has it could be the centrifugal force kind or the magnetic switch kind like in my 1.8T car where the clutch is engage as soon as you push the A/C button in the dash. If you're gonna do A/C work you need to buy or barrow a good set of A/C Gauges to measure the high and low ports of the A/C system.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
clutch

Thanks for the head start, guys. I'll start by figuring out how to jump the compressor. See if I can get the clutch to engage.
If it comes on don't leave it like that for too long until you figure out why it's not engaging you don't want to cause any damage to the compressor. I would get the A/C gauges first and and see what your pressures are, high and low. When the compressor is off and the A/C is turn off the both pressures should be equalized to about 100 psi, when the compressor engages and it's working correctly the low will come down to around 30-40psi and the high to around 140-180 depending on atmosphere temperature.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm... All of a sudden I'm thinking it might be better to take it to a shop for a diagnosis! Lol. I'm starting to get a sense that this could be quite labor intensive and expensive!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
A/c

Hmm... All of a sudden I'm thinking it might be better to take it to a shop for a diagnosis! Lol. I'm starting to get a sense that this could be quite labor intensive and expensive!
It could get ugly and expensive....a/c work is not for the weak of heart..LOL :D I replaced my A/C system last year and it was costly but I learned a lot in the process, money well spent In my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts