VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, the airbag light came on in the wife's 06 NBC. I checked all the connections and wires for nicks and breaks but everything looked good. I unplugged all the connections from under both seats turned the ignition to the ON position and plugged everything in one at a time. Starting at the passenger side the airbag light was on solid but the "passenger airbag off" sign was blinking in the center dash. Making the connections one by one the the center dash light remained blinking until I made the connection of the small yellow plug with the solid purple and white wires. I know most people say the buckles are a problem area but would that still be the case with troubleshooting I've done so far.

Thanks in advance
Dom

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Well, scanning the car with a VW specific scanner; would give you factory vw trouble codes, that should help you diagnose the problem intelligently. At a bare miniumum; order a cheap Vgate vs450; off of amazon.com for about $50 (basic code reader) or go factory scan tool level diagnostics, with VCDS from Ross Tech for about $250-$350, depending on if you want CAN bus reading capabiliyt. I bought VCDS; specifically, because of a airbag issue and it paid for itself the first time I used it, the ability to work on things yourself and not be beholden to a vw dealer or shop, is amazing.... the amount of money you can save is unbelieveable!

Otherwise, you are essentially flying blind; there are many components in the srs system, that could cause the problem. The computer scan tools of today; are now the "new", hand tools you need to fix things. Jump in; get a scanner and lets get things fixed! :cool:

You can look up the codes; on the ross tech wiki site: Ross-Tech Wiki

This section of the factory repair manual; might be helpful with testing procedures and wiring diagrams:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle Convertible L5-2.5L (BPS) (2006) > Restraint Systems > Repairs and Inspections Required After a Collision > System Information > Service and Repair > Airbag Units, Removing and Installing After an Accident

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to close this issue out. A buddy of mine scanned my car for me and found 8 faults. We decided to clear all the faults and see if any return. I had recently put seat covers on for the wife so maybe that was a contributing factor although I don't remember giving the car power during the install, but all the more reason to disconnect the battery while doing work. So far no lights have come back, Cahill this one up to laziness for not prepping the car for any work being done.

Thanks Dom

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Be careful with seat covers. There are airbags in the sides of the seats and not all covers are designed for those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts