VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've lurked around reading up the great info on this forum while learning the intricacies of my girlfriend's 2002 beetle. Now I have joined to pose a question or two about some of the work I have done, and if anyone is interested I can also do a writeup eventually of how I did a fairly clean install of both a coolant heater and a battery warmer.

I installed a remote starter on this car also and I'm sorry it was last year for Christmas so I don't have pics or good info on that, it was tricky but its totally doable if you have the will and I would be happy to provide any info I have to anyone trying to install one themselves just PM me. Bypassing both the immobilizer and the factory alarm in a somewhat clean way is, well, tough :p

Anyways more about the car, its a very nice '02 with the 2.0 and 4 speed auto. Its just that, before I met her, the car was SUPER neglected. Oil changes... maybe once or twice a year... paid bottom dollar for someone to throw in the cheapest $2 champion plugs and crap wires (before I met her), never changed the air filter or fuel filter or timing belt or water pump, etc etc etc, and now at 106,xxx miles her and her mom were wondering why it was running rough...

Some more in-depth of all the maintenence items I have tried to catch it up on can be found in this thread I just made here:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/93738-forgive-me-one-more-thread-normal-operating-coolant-temps.html

I am really doing my best to get this thing back into good shape but it has been a lot to catch up on. I have no idea how long she was driving it with the flex pipe broke off before I met her... her valves probably hate her... but I put a new one in and a timing belt and tensioner, water pump, t-stat, and so on.

Her transmission does not always shift super well... either a harsh 1-2 or just sometimes it takes longer than it should to shift to drive or reverse, going to take one more plunge and put in a trans filter kit and hopefully won't screw that up and the car will be in good shape for a while. I've tried to clean up under the hood a bunch also.

Really starting to like her car the more I work on it but man... I wish it wasn't green :p otherwise, great little car.

I would like to say thanks to everyone who's threads I read while lurking as you guys have already helped me a lot with this rehabilitation process for the poor car. Hopefully I will be able to pass some helpful info back as I get more familiar with it.

Here is my finishing touches after all the tune-up items I just did:

Behold this awesome spark plug the beetle **** out when it was previously running badly. Perhaps this is actually champion's new self-gapping spark plug? :D I have since replaced all four with good NGKs

Her timing belt before I tore into it:

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
cool. I've always heard about the Champion Easy-Out spark plug setup. Great to see one in operation :)

As for the timing belt? You probably just saved yourself several hundred hundred hundred....BIG BUCKS by getting that skank timing belt changed! That was probably only a few weeks...give or take several weeks...from tearing apart and taking out your valves.

Wish I had better news about the transmission. That's a well known issue that is going to be rather expensive. Most likely if the service doesn't do the trick? You're looking at probably a valve body replacement--if not an entire rebuild. I wish you well on that one. Kinda wish VW would re-invent the way they built the thing..(I know it was outsourced....but still....)

S-

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and thanks for posting a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
GREAT detail pix! Thanks for sharing them on the ORG.
WELCOME from Tennessee!!
:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts