VW Beetle Forum banner

another broken speedometer question

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  VWDope 
#1 ·
replaced the speed sensor today, still does not work on a 03 beetle glx turbo, a/t. checked fuse,its good. the instrument panel, everthing works except speedometer and odometer, and cruise control does not work. the speedometer needle is not on 0 it is setting about 1/2 inch below the 0 mark. my 2 questions,1 do you think the gauge is broken ? if so and i replace it, 2 will i need vagcom to set it to the car ?

#2 ·
Do you have access to a VW type scanner; like VCDS If you have your original speedo cluster repaired; you do not have to have the speedo coded with a program like VCDS. If you have access to VCDS; you can do output tests on each of the gages in the cluster and confirm they are working correctly (mechanically sound), any trouble codes that reside in the ecm could also give you clues to any problems as well. If you purchase and install, a used cluster; you would have to match the cluster to the car and match your old keys to the cluster (need pin #'s from the old and new cluster).

To get the pin #'s; you would need a program like vagtacho or have a locksmith use his tools to do this for you (they have aftermarket scan tools that can do this).

All of this; has to be done to keep the immobilizer working as it should (keys, immobilizer in the cluster, and the ecm; all have to be matched to each other). Some here; have decided to eliminate the immobilizer by having the ecm shipped to someone and have it eliminated from the software the resides in the ecm.

Again, having your original cluster repaired; eliminates all the need for the additional costs involved in the: matching, coding, and need for pin #'s, VagTacho, VCDS use, etc., original cluster repair, is the most cost effective solution and eliminates a steep learning curve, need for vagtach/vcds purchases.

I'm sure this is clear as "mud" but I hope this makes sense, if you have anymore questions... let us know! :)

#3 ·
thank you sir, it does make sense, i do have access to vcds, it seems cheaper to buy a used cluster, but more headaches installing it. then only test i have run so far was for error codes, which were non. however im not that practiced on using the ross tech software. i will run the test you have stated and make sure its the instrument cluster.

#6 ·
Have you pulled the gear out of the trans to see if it is warn?
It is a common problem.

The driven gear is what the speed sensor mounts on.
It rides on the drive gear which is a bit more involved to replace.

If you pull the assembly out you can see if it is warn in the center.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.