VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team Beetle,

I have recently bought a 2005 Convertible. The electronic roof worked fine for the first dozen goes but now it will only retract (go back) on the electric motor.

I can bring it forwards by pulling the red cord on one side of the locking mechanism (which unlocks easy). The other lock that appears to be connected to the motor is MUCH harder to release and I have to pull really hard (with the claw of a hammer) to get it to release the lock. (should there be a cord on this side too?).

Both locks fully engage when the motor brings the roof back. But when I try to close the roof, there is no movement or motor noise at all when I use the button to bring the roof back to closed. I have to do this manually with the cord, hammer and muscle.

If any of you guys could help - that would be awesome.
Thanks.
If photos or video would help - please suggest and I will provide.

Cheers

Arthur

·
Registered
2005 gls convertible
4 Posts
Did you turn the top override valve located in the trunk? It's hidden under a little plastic cap near the driver's side taillight on the inside of the trunk. Turning the little t shaped fitting under the cap should release the hydraulic pressure and allow you to lift the top closed relatively easily with someone to help lift from the other side. Best of luck getting it figured out! I'm currently going through a similar issue on my 05 vert!

·
Registered
2005 gls convertible
4 Posts
I should add that you will want to remember to turn the valve closed again after lifting and securing the top!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts